What's new

Something different...

Iron Chef

Villain
Rest in Peace
26 Feb 2003
Ok, here's the deal. A lot of my friends (both foreign and Japanese alike) tend to think some of the dishes I like to make for myself are a bit... odd. Granted, I would never serve these things to someone I have just met for the first time (or even wanted to impress) but they are imho quite tasty (at least to me) and I enjoy them quite often. That being said, i'm interested in other people's "ghetto" recipes (for lack of a better desc.). Having been in Japan for a while I like to experiment using hybrid foods. Post those dishes you love to make for yourself but probably wouldn't give to that special someone you're trying to impress on a first date, heh. Here are some of my favorites (all originals btw!):

Oden curry rice:
Just like it sounds, heh. Take your favorite oden (minus the soup of course) and use it in your curry domburri-style (either whole or chopped up). A bit heavy but a much healthier alternative to a lot of the fried foods commonly associated with curry.

Oden with ketchup:
Try it! It's not as bad as you may think. :cool:

Peanut butter maple syrup anko sandwich:
Ok... this is a caloric nightmare but who's counting? 😌 Basically layer one slice of bread with peanut butter, another with anko (sweet bean paste), and then drizzle maple syrup over both slices and fold together... Diabetics beware...
p.s. Slap in some thinly sliced banana for an extra fruity kick.

Other recipes include:
Miso chili
Konyaku spaghetti with chikuwa, moyashi, and chinese cabbage.
Cornflake salad with tofu
And so many more... heh.

Iron Chef said:
Peanut butter maple syrup anko sandwich:
Ok... this is a caloric nightmare but who's counting? 😌 Basically layer one slice of bread with peanut butter, another with anko (sweet bean paste), and then drizzle maple syrup over both slices and fold together... Diabetics beware...
p.s. Slap in some thinly sliced banana for an extra fruity kick.
窶敕シ窶督。窶堋オ窶堋サ窶堋、窶堋セ窶堙? especially with the banana.

I came up with fried mushrooms and kimchi. Good combination but heating the kimchi seemed to make it really hot so watch out.

spaghetti sandwich, mmmmm

usually from leftovers later on in the night. 2 pieces of bread buttered with some garlic powder and parmesian cheese, then put the microwaved spaghetti and sauce mix on one piece, slap the other on top and there you have it, BAM!!

also hmm spam and sticky rice, you can add some peas or whatnot as well...

My contribution: Kimchi & natto!! 😎

No one else in my family eats it... 😊

I recommend this to all kimchi lovers who can't eat natto!! 👍

epigene said:
My contribution: Kimchi & natto!! 😎

No one else in my family eats it... 😊

I recommend this to all kimchi lovers who can't eat natto!! 👍

OMG Epigene, with all due respect, I don't even want to imagine that. 😲

Wierd stuff's okay, too, right ?

Instant bean sprout ramen with raw egg yolk.

Have a handful of bean sprouts, 3 minced garlic, and just a little thin-sliced green onion ready.
Crack an egg, separate egg white & egg yolk, leave in separate saucers.
Prepare a dish of sliced, pickled dakon.

options:
A dish of kimchi will add to your watering appetite.
If you like hot stuff, have 1 table spoonfull of red, ground chilli pepper.
If you are not sure you can handle hot stuff, keep a tall glass of ice water near by.
If you are extra hungry, keep a bowl of gohan near by.

1. boil water
2. add instant soup base
3. add noodle & let boil for another 2 minutes
4. add bean sprouts & let cook for 30 seconds
5. throw in garlic, green onion, and chili powder.

Transfer the whole thing into a giant bowl.
Dig in, slurping at the steaming hot noodles & soup.
Break the yolk, and dip you noodles in it just before injesting ! Rich !
Take occasional pieces of dakon, or kimchi.
If the noodle is all gone and you're still hungry, throw you bowl of rice into the soup. Drink it all in.

Pause to see if your hunger is gone, if not, go to step 1. and iterate cycle till you're belly shouts "No more !"

note: If you like clear soup, use the egg white for making home-made ice-ream. If you don't mind some extra richness in your soup, add the egg white into the steaming mass at the end of the boiling routine. :liplick: 👏 🍜 🎈 👍 😄

Wow! You guys have some really great ideas! I like the sound of them all, will have to try them ALL soon. :devilish:

Ah~, ok weird stuff right? I actually think they are very tasty.

Pickled plum spaghetti w/ seaweed
Mince the plum and saute it in olive oil. Add spaghetti, mix well and garnish with the shreded seaweed.

Ground meat fried with an egg on top of rice. I usually use ground turkey with lots of spices like cumin, chilli powder and ground black pepper.

epigene,
Kimchi & natto sound so powerful that I might have a nightmare afterwords. 😲

Ok, foods that I love that are a bit odd....

Leftover Mashed potato fried with cheese and onion and put between two pieces of toast.

Mashed Banana Choco chip and Peanut Butter Toasted Sandwhiches, even better on whole grain bread. Then if you want to go crazy you can put a scoop of your favourite icecream on top :D

French fries and Chocolate Icecreams good too....

When we were in high school there was a local takeaway that made 'Cheezy Wheezy Chips' which were Thick cut homemade fries, with Tartare sauce, Tomato ketchup, mayonnaise and a delicious Cheese sauce... these were really good!

As for the kimchi and natto... its not so bad! Kimchi and egg salad is yum too.

Sometimes when making Spaghetti I will add half a tub of cottage cheese... thickens it up and makes it all cheesy, yummy with Tuna spaghetti.

Iron chef, miso chilli is really good!!! I love combining the two pastes and dipping veges in it while im drinking.

followings are well-known recipes, but have a try.

1. pudding with soy sauce
2. cucumber with honey

When shiokara, a jar of salted fish, esp., squid, guts is available,
Ika, or spuid in Eng, shiokara with fresh cream for pasta sauce or salad sauce

Back
Top Bottom