What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Some questions about working visa

ladybugs123

後輩
Reaction score
Hello, could you please answer my questons? I would be really thankful!!

After finishing high school I'm planning to go study in Japan; I know particulary everything in this topic, and have even already picked up some schools that I would be able to enroll to.

But before the academic year starts I'll have plenty of time (almost a year).
So, I thought that it would be a good idea to go to work on a working visa to Japan first, pass EJU in the meantime and stuff...
But, at various sites in English (I could hardly find any materials in my mother tongue, and those English sites automaticly assumed that the reader was an American, so it wasn't very useful for me) it said that nobody can get such a visa without a 4-year degree or 10 years of working experience in the particular field.
I got worried and made a phonecall to the Japanese embassy in my country, where they said that Poles don't need any experience or degree to work in Japan, just confirmation from the employer.
I got confused, especially that the women who talked with me didn't seem well informed... And I cannot go to the embassy myself, because it's in a complately different voivodeship.
That means pretty far away.

The topic is very important for me because it's likely that instead of enrolling in a university, I may choose a vocational school or junior college which provides only 2-years degree.

Does anybody knows any sites, most preferably in Japanese, that contain informations of this kind? I am growing really tired of this confusion.

Thank you&be healthy!

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
What exactly is it that you want to know?

Most of the time, a work visa requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree. For teaching jobs, it can be in any major. For most other jobs, it must be directly related to the type of work. If you don't have the degree, you need a combination of schooling/training/work experience to total a certain number of years.

You need to be hired for the job before you get the work visa.

Let's start with basics. What kind of job do you want for that one year?

Go here. Look at the last link. If your Japanese is better than your English, it should be a snap to read the requirements for each visa from there.
Application for Certificate of Eligibility

That should show that your embassy is either stupid or they didn't understand your question or you didn't understand the answer.

ladybugs123

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you very much for responsing.

Well, I was suprised too after talking with that woman from the embassy. What she said just seemed to be too simple.
About the job, I wanted to grab whatever would be possible. Cooking service, maybe? But now I don't really see this happening.
The link you provided is very helpful, thank you.
Although, I need to make sure that I understood everything right. About working in Medical Services, I would need a Japanese licence; of this I already new. But the "seven year period of being a trainee after receiving the licence" when it comes to nursing applies to what? It means that I wouldn't be able to extend my visa and work in Japan for a longer time?
I'm very sorry if I misunderstood something. I tend to be a little dense. ^^"

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
"Whatever would be possible" doesn't really help us to help you. You haven't finished high school yet, right? What do you want to do? In any case, that link should make it pretty clear that a degree or a lot of related experience is needed.

Yes, for certain jobs you will need the license that Japanese have (doctor, nurse, lawyer, accountant, etc.). That means taking the exam in Japanese. Recently nurses from the Philippines have had their ups and downs about that.
Foreign Nurses & Japan’s Immigration Policy | Japan Probe
Foreign Nurses Leave Japan: Literacy Requirement Made Japanese Nursing Exams Difficult | Japan Probe
Nursing exam rules for foreigners to be relaxed in response to low pass rate ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion
Foreign nurse success story has message for Japan: Open up | The Japan Times

But the "seven year period of being a trainee after receiving the licence" when it comes to nursing applies to what? It means that I wouldn't be able to extend my visa and work in Japan for a longer time?
This means if you want to be a nurse, you have to be a trainee first, so if you get the license, you must be a trainee from 0 to 7 years afterward. If you got the license 8 years ago, that's too long.

What exactly do you mean by "cooking service"? Being a waiter/waitress? A chef? You still need the right qualifications. It's not like where you live because you are a foreigner here.

You have a long time before you're going to be able to work here. Talk to school guidance counselors, your parents, whomever, and decide what career path you want in life. If you just want to work a year before you study in college here, I'd say you simply can't because you don't have the necessary requirements for any work visa.

Once you become a student, you can apply for special permission to work part-time. Biggest hindrance there will be the language barrier.

ladybugs123

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I'm super glad that I checked if the embassy was right. Though it really suprises me that what they told me was sooo far far from the truth and didn't make any sense. I thought that an embassy is a legit source of informations... I think that I understand everything now, I'm really greatful.
I have to give up on the idea of working before studies, but I'm not really concerned about it.
I have long planned to work as a student, so about that I have enough information, and Japanese won't be a problem.
Thank you very much once again :)

Top Bottom