What's new

Some Questions About Japanese/Asian Folks.

Marky

後輩
25 Jul 2007
Someone on these boards recommend I make a new thread... so here it goes:

Hmmm..... Quick Question, even though I am new here, I was wondering, who exactly are the Ainu/Jomon? Were they descendants of a group of Africans (proto-negroid or negroid) that settled in South Asia and then traveled to Japan?

Second, about the features of Japanese folks. I understand some (not all) have Caucasoid features. But how much of the features and how frequent? I noticed some "ethnic" Japanese people to look as if they are a mix between modern Far East Asian and European peoples. Moreover, I understand that they are "caucasoid", but is there a "proto-caucasoid" or "Japanese Caucasoid" that has DNA comparable to DNA from a "proto-caucasoid" or "caucasoid" from Europe?

Third, I know this is off topic, but in regards to China (and well Japan too), were the first dynasties/ruling parties/governments Black?

The Ainu are native japanese, they look asian however slightly different from the appearance most people associate with japanese people today, despite being called "japanese aborignes", they are not related to black people at all or australian aborignes for that matter.

"Jomon" is an early period in japans history, see here;

The Costume Museum - The Rebirth of The Tale of Genji

As far as i am aware, the first dynasties were not of black people (whatever gave you that idea?), the first emporer of china was very much chinese through as through as far as his appearance and origin is concerned, he is very well documented in chinese history.

The Ainu is an indigenous Japanese tribe that live in the northernmost regions. I'm no anthropologist, but in the photos I've seen they look more similar to Russians (Siberia is very close to the northern islands) than other Japanese, granted there's a wide variety therein (in both groups).

I don't know where you got the idea of the early dynasties being black. Was this just a musing or do you have some research to assert that claim? I have seen charts of human migration since they first left Africa, and none of that supports any such thing.

I believe he is drawing from a number of DNA studies which reveal similarity between Chinese and African DNA. I think the studies are drawing a "coming out of africa" theory, by which DNA traces indicate movement from Africa to SE asia then to China. Modern Chinese carry this DNA. Here's an article on the study

Date: 5, December 01, at 5:06 p.m.

Saturday, July 15, 2000

Modern humans, or Homo sapiens, might migrate from Africa into China by way of Southeast Asia between 18,000 years and 60,000 years ago, researchers say.

This latest research finding by Chinese scientists and their international colleagues concluded that modern humans might have moved from Africa to China replacing Mono erectus (archaic upright- walking human beings) there to become the ancestors of the country 's modern humans.

The conclusion is based on the comparison and analysis of Y- chromosome DNA using samples of the extant 88 populations living in East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Oceania, says Li Jin, one of the Chinese researchers of the study "Chinese Human Genome Diversity Project."

Li Jin is a professor of both the National Human Genome Center in Shanghai and the Institute of Genetics of Fudan University.

Scientists found that the variations of Y-chromosome in north China are derived from those in south China, a result proved as that a small number of settlers of African origin moved to northern China due to the hurdle of the mighty Yangtze River. And Polynesians, who live in the islands in the Pacific Ocean, are found to have different Y-chromosome to Taiwanese, forcing scientists to reconsider the hypothsis that Polynesians were descendants of ancestral Taiwanese aborigines.

As a whole, nearly all Y-chromosome variations in East Asia and the Oceania could be found among those in Southeast Asia, adds Li Jin.

So, the findings also indicate that modern humans migrated from Africa to Southeast Asia nearly 60,000 years ago.

Subsequently, the migrants were believed to have headed for two directions: one moved northwards to south China and then spread to the country's northern areas by crossing the Yangtze River, and the other went to Indonesia and ultimately reached the Oceania.

The Y-chromosome research is an important method for tracing the human migration patterns and the findings make clear the relationships between people groups in Southeast Asia, and East Asia and the Oceania, says another major Chinese researcher Jiayou Chu, who is a professor of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences.

This latest research result was published in today's issue of the Proceeding of National Academy of Sciences, a U.S. journal.

The finding means that scientists have made headway in the pursuit of human origin, though the conclusion that modern Chinese human beings migrated from Africa still remains controversial, says academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences Zhu Chen, who is also the director of Shanghai's National Human Genome Center.

In 1987, the U.S.'s scientists brought forward a theory based on mitochondrial DNA evidence that all human beings originated in Africa and later migrated to other corners of the globe. In the intentional academic circles, few arguments were raised about the theory that all palaeoanthropic mankind originated in Africa. Meanwhile, the scientists note that fossils of Peking Man who lived 500,000 years ago and Yuanmao Man over 1.7 million years ago were found in China, but both lack any direct hereditary connection with modern Chinese man.

There is a disconnection or "faultage" in fossils of palaeoanthropic Chinese who lived some 60,000 to 100,000 years ago, researchers say.

Coinciding with the fossil record, Chinese scientists discovered last year that primitive elements of DNA found in modern Chinese are identical with those found in Africans.

The discovery has provided weighty evidence on the genetic basis for the theory that modern Chinese were not evolved from the archaic upright-walking human beings in China but originated in Africa.

"Study of Korean Male Origins (abstract)[5]

Sunghee Hong, Seong-Gene Lee, Yongsook Yoon, Kyuyoung Song
University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388-1 Poongnap-dong, Songpa-ku, Seoul, Korea

Population studies of genetic markers such as HLA variation and mitochondrial DNA have been used to understand human origins, demographic and migration history. Recently, diversity on the nonrecombining portion of the Y chromosome (NRY) has been applied to the study of human history. Since NRY is passed from father to son without recombination, polymorphisms in this region are valuable for investigating male-mediated gene flow and for complementing maternally based studies of mtDNA. Haplotypes constructed from Y-chromosome markers were used to trace the paternal origins of Korean. By using 38 Y chromosome single nucleotide polymorphism markers, we analyzed the genetic structure of 195 Korean males. The Korean males were characterized by a diverse set of 4 haplogroups (Groups IV, V, VII, X) and 14 haplotypes that were also present in Chinese. The most frequent haplogroup in Korean was Group VII (82.6%). It was also the most frequent haplogroup in Chinese (95%) as well as in Japanese (45%). The frequencies of the haplogroups V, IV, and X were 15.4%, 1%, and 1%, respectively. The second most frequent haplogroup V in Korean was not present in Chinese, but its frequency was similar in Japanese. We have tried to correlate the Y variation with surname to determine how well the clan membership corresponds to Y variation. There were 37 surnames in our sample but genetic variation structure did not correlate with surnames. "

This is a comment from someone on wikipedia

"Linguistics and genetics are two very separate things. The Korean language may possibly be Altaic (even this is contentious) and the Han Chinese language is Sino-Tibetan, but a fundamental tenant of linguistics is that these differences do not reflect the actual genetic makeup of the populations speaking them. The Koreans today are closely related to the Han Chinese in both genetics and culture. That is more than enough to put the Han Chinese as a "possibly" related ethnic group. The Korean people were directly related to the early migrants coming north from China. "

Some Comments On Asian Folks

Some Comments On Asian Folks

I lived Asia two years (1980-1981)

I find the following about Asia (Japan, China, and Korea)

- -> Hard working

- -> Money is everything

- -> Money is first, pollution of my neighborhood, who cares, if not in my yard

- -> Not as "artsy" and deep thinkers as Westerners (rarely procude a "Kurt Vonnegut" or "Hunter S. Thompson")

- -> Believe order is more important than pseudo-controlled chaos (good for dealing with crime, bad for storming ideas in a meeting)

- -> Women exist mostly for pleasure (I don't know how Asian Men raise daughters)

- -> Their economy are the worlds worst polluters
(If Asians ran the world, the last tree and last fish in the ocean would be gone by 2040).

- -> Many Chinese come of cold, like their lives are bunt-out robots, going through the motion.(Americans love to say good morning, and talk a bit. and tell stories, or a joke or two)

Of course we are all decended from black races if you go for the out of africa theory, but by the time people managed to migrate all the way from africa to places like china, it is highly likely that the skin tone would have changed considerably, since the benefets of the darker skin (i.e to help prevent stuff like sun burn) would have been useless (perhaps even negative) in the dense shaded bamboo forests which used to cover all of prehistoric China.
They say that it only takes 24 thousand years for a generations of black people to turn white or vice versa if they are in the right territory for the changes in skin tone to warrant changing.

Some Asians show low or zero alcohol tolerance.
I really envy my friends who can economically get drunk.

Some Asians show low or zero alcohol tolerance.
I really envy my friends who can economically get drunk.
:p HAHAH!! reminds me of that scene in "My Sassy Girlfriend" (korean movie)...
Drinking in tokyo could get very expensive, so I'd usually hang out at the nearby train station an hour or two before my friends would show up, and ransack the beer vending machine :) Not an especially cool thing to do on gokon nights, but it sure did make the evening move along especially if the girls were less than interesting...

Back
Top Bottom