What's new

Some help please.

AussieBird

先輩
13 Jan 2008
After checking with immigration today I now realise that I cannot extend my work visa without a full time job. A non-Japanese lady who worked in the Help Desk section, who didn't appear to know her stuff said, that I could however apply for a Short Term visa in order to cover me for a short period e.g. six to ten weeks whilst seeking an employer to sponsor me to get another work visa. So, she gave me the forms today and advised me to go to immigration proper asap.

So what I would like to know is, what knowledge do you have on this matter 1. what are my chances with this as a reason for changing to a "short-term visa" 2. what are my chances of getting it 3. Am I legally allowed to look for work on this type of visa?

Also, when I do find an employer and go through the process of applying for a "work visa", is it right that I don't need to go out of the country to get the visa these days?

I really look forward to your responses.

AussieBird:🙂

After checking with immigration today I now realise that I cannot extend my work visa without a full time job. A non-Japanese lady who worked in the Help Desk section, who didn't appear to know her stuff said, that I could however apply for a Short Term visa in order to cover me for a short period e.g. six to ten weeks whilst seeking an employer to sponsor me to get another work visa. So, she gave me the forms today and advised me to go to immigration proper asap.
If you have worked at least a year on the work visa, you can continue without full-time work as long as your collection of part-time work gives you enough of a salary. How much is determined by every immigration officer, so just go by subsistence wages. Private lessons don't count as guaranteed PT work. This sort of continuance is called "self-sponsorship", but that's street language that immigration won't understand.

Also, when I do find an employer and go through the process of applying for a "work visa", is it right that I don't need to go out of the country to get the visa these days?
True. You are merely transferring over sponsorship to the new employer. Get a letter of release from the old employer (obligated by law to do this), and you're in.

Back
Top Bottom