What's new

Social Dancing scene

DrFuzz

後輩
9 Jun 2004
Hi I'm a soon to be resident in Japan (specifically Osaka)and I was wondering what the dance scene is like in Japan. I've practiced dancing for years in australia and now in Singapore and I would hate to have to give it up in Japan. Specifically I've danced Modern Jive (ceroc), Salsa, Lindy Hop and Argentine Tango. I'd hate to have to give it up when I move.

I'd love to get any feedback or to be pointed in the right direction. Many thanks

Fuzzy

DrFuzz said:
...Modern Jive (ceroc), Salsa, Lindy Hop and Argentine Tango. I'd hate to have to give it up when I move.

Depends on what you mean by social-dance? Clubs, or just lessons? Salsa: if you were in Tokyo, you would be fine (I have no idea about Osaka)--and if you ever are in Tokyo, I can recomend a few clubs. But Osaka is a big city, and my guess is it wouldn't be difficult to find Salsa playing venues. The others, I know little about. I'm sure you could find lessons if you looked hard enough.

Well Chi a bit of both, I don't really need lessons in mod Jive so much but I sure could use some help in all the other catagories.

Yeah it would be a hell of a lot easier if I did work in Tokyo over Osaka but 'thems the breaks', I do know from other sources that Tokyo has a very lively Lindy and Salsa scene, I just haven't been able to find much about Osaka.

Cheers

Fuzz

silver angel said:
So, you mean spanish music is popular in Japan???

I don't no if I could go so far as to say popular... but the Salsa culture is alive and well. I have met some damn fine dancers here. If you mean Spanish music, as in anything that is not salsa, (contemporary, rock, hip hop, and anything taking the back seat to international fame--cumbia, merengue, vallenato, ranchero, norteテアo, bolero, son, etc.) I don't think there is much of a presence. But there are plenty of clubs that, at the very least, host salsa nights.

DrFuzz said:
Yeah it would be a hell of a lot easier if I did work in Tokyo over Osaka...

Osaka's a big city--2nd largest in Japan. I am certain there is somebody out there doing what you're looking for... though you may have to look harder. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a couple clubs out there who hosted Salsa nights. You might check at a well known foreigners bar/hangout. Usually those kinds of places have all sorts of information on "cultural" events/ongoings (by the way of magazines or flyers, and what not). I happened to know someone out here in Tokyo who was into the scene, so it was an easy foot in the door--without which I would have had to look a little harder. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom