What's new

So they ignore the little card at the airport?

WonkoTheSane

先輩
12 May 2013
Edit: The post title became autocorrected.

I just came in through Narita and I checked the box on the customs card which indicates I was bringing banned or restricted items into the country because a thank you gift which was given to me was a huge box full of loose chili peppers (I was confused by the gift, I'm pretty sure it's more chili peppers than I can eat in a year or so, but felt it was more gracious to just accept it than to ask about it).

Anyway, the customs official barely glanced at the card, asked how long I would be in Japan (though he had my residence card in his hand), and waved me through.

I suspect he was more focused on the practice English aspect than the customs aspect, and I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering if I might get a frantic call from them asking what banned or restricted items I brought. I can't imagine that these forms aren't double checked somewhere, this is Japan after all.

You must have entered using a second citizenship. That's the secret loophole.

Edit: The post title became autocorrected.
I'm just wondering if I might get a frantic call from them asking what banned or restricted items I brought. I can't imagine that these forms aren't double checked somewhere, this is Japan after all.

Is the answer always recorded? Maybe they just think the officer dealt with it.

Sometimes you get a thorough paper pusher that's a stickler for the letter of the law, and sometimes you get the guy who just wants to wave everyone through and collect a check. Bureaucracy is only as oppressive as the people that serve it.

Is the answer always recorded? Maybe they just think the officer dealt with it.

No idea, this is the first time I brought anything in which was in the list. I'd be terribly surprised if the checkmark weren't intended to initiate a whole process... Including a variety of forms.

I rather expected to be directed to the desk for processing quarantine of vegetable matter. It's the whole purpose of that desk, after all.

Bureaucracy is only as oppressive as the people that serve it.

That's a great quote!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom