What's new

So I made some "home made" Udon today...

yukio_michael

後輩
8 Mar 2005
Okay, that's sort of a lie... the noodles were the "soft' pre-cooked kind, which is quicker and easier for me, but I found that the 'flavour packet' it came with was for spicy udon, which I didn't want... so instead, I added dashi & shoyu & it tasted exactly as if I had made it with a normal seasoning included, but even better, because I could add more or less dashi or shoyu...

Now... to see what to add to Udon... I'm not going to be adding anything tempura, but maybe some vegetables, I don't know yet.

I knew that dashi would come in handy!

Soba <buckwheat noodle> and udon <thick wheat noodle> are Japanese traditional noodles. They can be served warm in a bowl with hot soup, or cold on a bamboo sieve with dipping sauce. Noodle soup and dipping sauce are made of bonito broth mixed with kaeshi, which is a kind of sauce made by cooking shoyu <soy sauce>, mirin <sweet rice wine> and sugar together. It is common that such noodle soup served in the Kanto region (eastern Japan) is darker in color and stronger in taste, compared to those in the Kansai region (western Japan). Chopped negi <green onion> is a common garnishing for the noodles. For those who want to add some spiciness to the noodle, shichimi-togarashi <seven-spices and red pepper sprinkles> for udon and soba and wasabi <Japanese horseradish> for soba usually come on the side. Soba became popular among ordinary people by the mid Edo period and has become one of local specialties of Edo (old Tokyo). Soba is one of few dishes that slurping is not considered as bad manners when eating. This is because eating soba with air is believed to be better to enjoy its aroma. Udon has been another favorite noodle dish among people for long time. For both soba and udon, standard serving styles are "kake" <warm noodle and soup with no topping>, "mori" <cold noodle and sauce>, "tanuki" <noodle with tempura crumbs>, "kitsune" <noodle with aburaage or fried tofu cooked in sweet, shoyu-based sauce>, and "tsukimi" <noodle with a dropped egg>. Other variations include "zaru soba" <cold soba topped with mominori or crumbled laver>, "chikara udon" <warm udon with mochi or rice cake>, "karee udon" <warm udon served in curry sauce> and such. "Yakiudon," or pan-fried udon with meat and vegetables, is similar to yakisoba <pan-fried Chinese noodles> and is also a popular variation of udon dishes.

Okay, that's sort of a lie... the noodles were the "soft' pre-cooked kind, which is quicker and easier for me, but I found that the 'flavour packet' it came with was for spicy udon, which I didn't want... so instead, I added dashi & shoyu & it tasted exactly as if I had made it with a normal seasoning included, but even better, because I could add more or less dashi or shoyu...

Now... to see what to add to Udon... I'm not going to be adding anything tempura, but maybe some vegetables, I don't know yet.

I knew that dashi would come in handy!

The easiest topping for udon would be a poached egg...

And don't forget "negi"--green onions, if you can't get "naga-negi."

And a dash of hot pepper!! 👍

Back
Top Bottom