What's new

Smoking In the streets

koolkool

後輩
24 Jul 2006
In my last visit to Akihabara, i noticed the no smoking sign written on the street with a very big no smoking sign..but i saw still many people smoked..what is your opinion about this..sorry if i was mistaken 👍

I'd follow the flow of traffic; if you see people smoking, it's probably alright to light-up in that area. If you see signs up and no one is smoking, take the 'suggestion' :)

We dont have j-walking laws in the UK yaaaaaaaay.

I agree, if the Japanese arent doing it, best not to do it.

The police are probably not fussed with enforcing any no-smoking rules where people are lighting up.

Then again it could be just like a western country, with some small laws, if you can get away with it you break it quite often.

It is not cops that collect 2000yen fine in Akihabara, but be careful that I heard they don't accept a "I don't speak Japanese" card any more.

its generally accepted that language profficiency aside, your subject to that country's laws.

Hmm, still, what if you really cant read japanese, kinda boned there.

I watched a news coverage that they've got multi-lingual brochures to explain the regulation to a tourist-like guy, but I bet they don't have any Latin one.

ヒ廩ツ湘」窶ケテ問?ーナ停?冢窶ケテヲ窶堙俄?堋ィ窶堋「窶堙??堙債、窶慊ケヒ廩ツ湘」窶堙??ケi窶ーナ停?堋キ窶堙ゥツ行ヒ?冷?ケy窶堙鯛?慊ケヒ廩ツ湘」ツ(窶ーヒ??慊ケツ植ツ催坂?堙ーナ?テ懌?堙楪。ツ)窶堙俄?ケz窶堋「ナ?k窶堙ーナステ娯?堙??堙ゥツ行ヒ?冷?堙ー窶ケテ滅ス~窶堋キ窶堙ゥツ。
It says smoking is prohibted on the designated streets, therefore, you may smoke at the entrance of starbucks in Akihabara as long as you stand in their properties and properly dispose your cigarette butts. But you need courage to accept beaming from coffee lovers.

My last two trips to Japan I noticed that smoking is getting more and more restricted. It is a lot more restricted in comparison to my first visit in 2001. I had to smoke at Narita airport before getting on the Narita Express to get to Tokyo. The first time I came to Japan I was able to smoke in a smoking area between cars.

A little off topic....

I just had a new patient tell me today he just was diagnosed yesterday with advanced lung cancer; he was lighting up a cig as he told me.

Uncle Frank

:eek:

Theres alot of areas in Japan where smoking on the street is prohibited and subject to fines. Laws are not "suggestions", and in particular stop signs are definitly not suggestive. As soon as you start thinking like that you are endangering yourself and others :(

koolkool said:
In my last visit to Akihabara, i noticed the no smoking sign written on the street with a very big no smoking sign..but i saw still many people smoked..what is your opinion about this..sorry if i was mistaken 👍

They should eat all of the butts on the rice.

Back
Top Bottom