What's new

Simplified kanji

dswbg

後輩
10 Mar 2003
Hey All..
Got yet another question..

Does anybody know when and why the Japanese Kanji were simplified and how it was taken by the Japanese people?

I understand that the Chinese went (a bit later) through the same process, though with slightly different results, and that the traditional characters are still of majority use there..

Thanks,
dswbg.

Japanese kanji are almost all traditional. A few were slightly simplified after WWII, but nothing similar to modern Mandarin.
Hong Kong, Taiwan or Korea (almost limited to place and people names nowadays) use traditional characters too, so more similar to the Japanese ones.

How strange, I am a Chinese yet I don't recognize a few Chinese word in Japanese. For example: "ki" in "genki".

The Chinese language went through a whole different simplification process, didn't it?

The big simplification happened right after WWII -- many kanji were simplified and official lists of which kanji to use in publication and education were issued.

Originally posted by mdchachi
The big simplification happened right after WWII -- many kanji were simplified and official lists of which kanji to use in publication and education were issued.

Are you talking about Chinese or Japanese language now? :confused:

Anyway I thought that most of the Chinese people an also read the traditional characters, so I guess they should not have problem to understand the Japanese kanji (tough not to read it of course).

Back
Top Bottom