What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

silk painting ID help please

Peter Lyon

Peter Lyon
Reaction score
I have two silk paintings which my father brought back from Japan in 1946-7. He was part of the New Zealand contingent of J Force occupying Japan after World War 2. I don't know where he was stationed (though at one time he did pass through Hiroshima) or where he purchased the paintings; the only detail I recall is that he paid two packets of cigarettes for them. Since both he and my mother are now dead, there is no way of finding out more about them.

They have been in the family since then, and have now been put into high quality frames with UV resistant glass to preserve them as long as possible. The silk has already become brittle, but they should now stay in this condition for another century or so.

I am hoping someone here may be able to help identify the artist/s and workshop/s that created them, and learn more of their history. To my untrained eye, the brushwork and composition look very good, and the proportions are very naturalistic. I have loaded two photos of the pictures and two of the signatures, onto the pictures section, under the "Traditional Japanese painting" section, and they can be found using the keyword "Tiger". Please excuse any errors in my entries, as I am new here.

Thankyou to anyone who is able to help me.

Peter Lyon

Peter Lyon
Reaction score
Even if nobody here is able to help me, if you know of anyone skilled in the translation of signatures or identification of artwork, even if they charge at professional rates, I would appreciate contact details.

Peter Lyon

Peter Lyon
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice, I've posted the details and photos to his forum, and I am now awaiting an answer.

Top Bottom