What's new

Signature Limits

Ewok85

先輩
14 Nov 2003
Does this forum not have/enforce signature limits? I noticed a new member today using multiple images "stacked" to make her signature over 400px high - that would be more than half the screen for some users - which is ridiculous and unfair to other users.

So, is there limits?

Does this forum not have/enforce signature limits? I noticed a new member today using multiple images "stacked" to make her signature over 400px high - that would be more than half the screen for some users - which is ridiculous and unfair to other users.
So, is there limits?
I saw the same one as you did I think, well we'll just have to see what the powers that be have to say.

If it's the one I saw......

I sent them a PM about it when they joined. I did say they had a day or two to find a new one or shrink the one they had. Usually they are spotted and fixed within a week. Hopefully they will get it fixed this weekend.

Uncle Frank

LoL, I always browse the forum, hunting for members with large signatures.

If I see a new member with a large signature I will send a PM with the request to remove it a.s.a.p. if not I will remove it myself within 1-2 days.

If the member has been on Jref for a longer period, I give an infraction and most of them get the hint at that moment. It's because many other websites don't have any rules about signatures, especially those J-music/ J-drama kinda websites so they think that we don't have any rules either.

Don't worry we keep an eye on them, and if you see them you can always use the report button.

Here are the official rules, which in my opinion should be changed a little bit:

SIGNATURES
All signatures should not exceed the following size limits: for text images 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 90 characters per line. Empty lines are also counted. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed; for images in signatures: one image up to 300 pixels wide, 100 pixels tall and 20k in size; for text and image, you can have a maximum of 2 normal lines (or 4 small lines) and one image (in a new line) up to 300 pixels wide, 60 pixels tall and 15k in size.

Way it's wrong here to have a big signature? There isn't to much space ?☝ Or simple you don't like images that take all screen?:eek:

Way it's wrong here to have a big signature? There isn't to much space ?☝ Or simple you don't like images that take all screen?:eek:

Signatures can be really annoying if they are to large, and that's why rules are set on this forum. Some other forums don't have any problem with it, and don't have a rule for it.

And you means a lot of Jref people who have been here for a short period, and a longer period who don't like large signatures.

What's wrong with certain rules? and why is it okashii? ☝

Ever heard of forum rules? It's not because you are a kid, you don't have to hold on to the rules. If you can't respect the wishes of the forum administrators, we advice you to find some other forum where you can post ridiculously big signatures. ;-)

The certain rules isn't wrong. I simple wanted to know why the are for because if there aren't any reason for them they will be stupid (the rules, not someone els ) And for okashii , I simple put him down because I was seeing something strange :)

But then , what okashii means ?(I don't learn Japanese )

But then , what okashii means ?(I don't learn Japanese )
First, I have a 14" screen, and that signature does in fact take up nearly half of it... I just have a teeny laptop...

Second, it's a rule, and not an uncommon one on a lot of forums, despite the ones such as Dutch Baka mentioned... so, as a privilege of using this forum, you follow it, asides from the generality that large signatures typically annoy people trying to "read" a thread.

Last, that emote okashii is actually saying "ayashii", which means, doubtfull, dubious, suspicious, etcetera...

ps. Why would you use a Japanese word as a response, if you didn't know what it meant?

About the 'hint', I love posts that start out with

I couldn't be bothered to read the whole post...
:eek: indeed.

Zygimantus, there are several reasons why there is a rule limiting signature sizes.
I did not make the rule, so I can only surmise as to those particular reasons at the time of the decision, but several things come to mind:
  1. Bandwidth
    Pictures take up space when travelling from the server to your computer. The more space that is used up for such information, the slower everything moves as a whole. Jref can purchase "wider pipes" to facilitate the speed of the information flow, but that costs money.​
  2. Consideration for readers
    When users have large signatures, it becomes difficult to sort through them to read the actual posts. Most people are not nearly as interested in looking at people's signatures as they are in looking at the messages that people have posted. It is very annoying to have to scroll down a long page just to read the latest post, especially if it is a short post, which happens quite often.​
  3. Server diskspace
    The bigger the picture, the more diskspace it uses up just to "hold" it. Although one picture in itself may not take up a lot of space, when potentially THOUSANDS of people start to use up more space, it adds up quickly. Again, Jref could buy more diskspace, but this does cost money.​
As for your use of the smilie, I think you did just fine using the :eek: smilie as you did. It basically covers the same feeling you wanted to get across, and there is no requirement that anyone know Japanese to join the forum or use the smilies. (Of course other people are within their rights to find objection with your usage of particular smilies, but that's what happens when you bring so many different people together!👍 )

Last edited:
Glad to hear there is limits and action being taken! さすがジェイレフだ!

There was a time when the sig size rule was not overly enforced, but the members in the music section started to go way overboard. I am talking about sigs bigger than most posts. It was dealt with by limiting the sigs to only appear once on each page and cracking down on offenders. When the infraction system came in we could then give them warnings and infractions. Since then there are only the few that try and ignore the limits and they are normally dealt with quickly.

Since then there are only the few that try and ignore the limits and they are normally dealt with quickly.

This are the newbies, and I wonder why some people don't read forum rules, or have common sense something.

Simple somebody didn't like reading some boring rules and wanted to join sooner .

🙂 🙂 🙂

Maybe true but without some rules life would be anarchy.

It's a fact of life that people have to follow rules, even here, if a person doesnt want to follow the established rules they dont have to join.

Complaining about something after joining in the first place isn't too logical.

The bigger the picture, the more diskspace it uses up just to "hold" it. Although one picture in itself may not take up a lot of space, when potentially THOUSANDS of people start to use up more space, it adds up quickly. Again, Jref could buy more diskspace, but this does cost money.​
Actually, the images are stored off-line at some sort of hosting facility, so, it doesn't really effect J-Ref's storage space, (unlike uploaded images), but nonetheless you bring up a very good point about bandwidth...

The more images and text that J-Ref has to serve, the more it costs the operators of the site... And of course, we are lucky, this is a free server, but at the end of the day, someone has to pay the bills.

The least we can do is to follow the rules, and keep the prices down for the operators.

Having just read Dutch Baka's post on signature limits, I have to say that I reckon are very lucky on this site as to how big or how long their signatures are.
On the British site that I am an Administrator on, the signature limit is 300 characters, including any spaces. Photographs or Images are allowed, but tend to use up nearly all of the allowance.

Mind you the more space that you have free on a server does help, and i reckon this site uses up more than one server.

Last edited:
Is it just a case of have to be bigger and better than everyone else?

oh and I've decided I'm getting old!!!!! I'm sitting here tutting at the spelling mistakes.....

Is it just a case of have to be bigger and better than everyone else?
I think the maxim is that once you get over about the age of 18-22, the idea of a) idolizing people whom you don't know and will never meet, and b) paying tribute to them in a signature you photoshoped the size of which would make Mark Rothko blush seems to fade away...

Sometimes bigger and better is not always the case, aint that so MummyMia? 😍
Yukio michael I think you are correct there, mind you You are only young once!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom