What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Should we buy Chinese products?

Bob Brisker

後輩
Reaction score
I believe we should stop buying Chinese products because the Chinese government is a brutal dictatorship. Also, many Chinese products are made by prisoners working in bad conditions for long hours. Often they are beaten and tortured if they fail to meet targets.
Please visit http://www.buyhard.fsnet.co.uk/japanindex.htm

事実:あなたが中国製品を買う度に自国の職場をなくす事に手を貸し、そして彼らの人民を恐れしさす非道な体制に補助与える。(見て~ビデオの切り抜き~中国の軍人がチベット僧に暴力を加えるところ。)

Gaki

Emperor Gakihito
Reaction score
I think we should nuke UK because Tony Blair has his head up Bush's ***, and has dragged a nation of people into a war which doesnt involve us.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
You Could.....

sell a product with a big sticker on it saying "Made by Child Slave Labor Fed On Dog Food Kept In Chains" and if the price were low & quality OK, people would buy it!!
Apathy gets an "A" for it's control on many people's lives!

Frank

:eek: :? :eek:

bossel

Sempai
Reaction score
& you really think, a boycott would do any good?
Anyway, it's not true that investment in China necessarily destroys employment in the investing country (a claim on your English webpage). By producing in China companies can perhaps create greater revenue, which may actually save jobs in these companies.

The PRC is some kind of dictatorship, the Human Right situation is bad, a.s.o., but a boycott wouldn't change very much. What might have an effect would be a worldwide import ban on Chinese products. How realistic is that?

What's more, if you'd do that, a lot of international companies (many of them Japanese) would lose their investments in China. Who would compensate them? Don't you think, that this would lead to even more job losses? Maybe some companies would have to declare bankruptcy.

buruburu

Venerable Buruburu
Reaction score
Well, we should buy Chinese anyway,
In a short term we can just expect the chinese gov. will take its responsibilities to tackle this pb, taking appropriate measures to protects their workers. But it hardly conceivable.
In the long term, the development a chinese economy will compensate these abuses anyway. New markets will emerge giving new opportunities for foreign investors. With an average of 8 pct grow per annum will inevitably bring social and legal improvements. The cost of labour will get higher, and this pb will be shift to another country...

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
I Say.....

give them a taste of money and capitalism and they will be reeled into the real world! Imagine a whole China doing business like Hong Kong, WOW!!

Frank

😊

Winter

Gag me with a spoon
Reaction score
If boycotting that will change the harsh conditions for Chinese workers, then why dont we start boycotting chocolate in its various forms to end slavery, like I stated in a post somewhere else around here.

Maybe because it will do a whole lotta nothin'.

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
That and it seems that there would just be too much boycotting. We wouldn't be able to buy anything! :D :p

Lina Inverse

Sempai
Reaction score
Bob Brisker said:
I believe we should stop buying Chinese products because the Chinese government is a brutal dictatorship. Also, many Chinese products are made by prisoners working in bad conditions for long hours. Often they are beaten and tortured if they fail to meet targets.
Please visit http://www.buyhard.fsnet.co.uk/japanindex.htm

事実:あなたが中国製品を買う度に自国の職場をなくす事に手を貸し、そして彼らの人民を恐れしさす非道な体制に補助与える。(見て~ビデオの切り抜き~中国の軍人がチベット僧に暴力を加えるところ。)
Hey, let's all boycott US goods! We really shouldn't buy them any more, because Dubya is a warmonger and allround insane retard, and we really shouldn't support him by buying US goods!
You see, even while Dubya is an insane retard, not buying any US goods wouldn't do anything about it. Likewise with a China boycott wouldn't change anything, neither about the dictatorship, nor about the Tibetian oppression. You're running against a wall there, reaching absolutely nothing.

dadako

Sempai
Reaction score
I'd like to say bullshit, however I've been carefull to choose a fair trade sorta factory... I'm just about to commision a whole load of toys from china. cheap but high quality. Also they insist that "made in china" must go on all products.

dont you think that china is a big enough country to have good as well as bad? instead of branding the whole place bad. I'm getting my stuff made near hong kong, so the prices might be a bit higher than elsewhere, but they certainly have thier heads screwed on and make a high relative profit.

China seems to be very proud to make tat for the rest of the world. Even beckham england tees are made in China.

I think there are a few sweatshops throughout that vast country, but they are in the minority! You're suggesting the place is evil as a whole?

Last edited:

Ewok85

先輩
Reaction score
I cant really see the point here. Boycott their goods and the people who make very little how it is lose that and then are really stuffed.

Btw, whats Dubya mean?

Edit: ooh wait.. george W bush; dubya because of his ever so annoying accent? :?

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Yeah, it has to do with the way that "W" is pronounced. I'm not really sure who stuck him with that moniker, though.

Reaction score
Well I think I go in a different direction from nearly everyone here, though the thread is very old I do think its legit and makes sense to avoid buying Chinese products.

Boycotting is almost impossible since too much is made by China (at the time of the original post it already was, nowadays I dont even need to say), but avoiding when possible I think is not bad

(Not hating China though)

Top Bottom