What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Should old computers stay with old operating system?

Muz1234

後輩
Reaction score
I am using computers from 2007. The OS that came with it was Windows Vista. Is it recommend for the old computers to upgrade the OS to the latest version? Or just remain with the old OS?

TGI-ECT

後輩
Reaction score
More about a given computer would be necessary to be able to make any decision.

Generally speaking, though, I have a number of older computers on which I installed a Windows 7 OS. But it depended on a few factors, like memory configuration, for example.

You can also have two operating systems on the same unit, if it is of a configuration that can handle it.

TGI-ECT

後輩
Reaction score
Okey-dokey, I am going to need some assistance here, please.

Firstly, you can see here from the related Purdue Engineering page even the 2007 year had Dell kick out two versions of their OptiPlex:

We need to know what we're working with here.

My memory of the Vista access to some of the necessary information might be off, but roughly you should be able to do the Start to Control Panel to System (or System and Maintenance to System) and there you can give us the Processor, RAM, system type.

If you want to do a screen grab be very sure you block the Product ID or I will send my PC to lecture you. (You might think PC stands for Personal Computer, but from this work station we send out Privacy Cops and they are great at scooting through the Net lines and jumping out of your unit and standing on your monitor and lecturing you about privacy and that Product ID shouldn't be shown to non-confidants.)

Anyway, we need some information, as stated above. One big thing is system type, because a 32-bit system only goes up to a max address space of 4GB and part of that is determined for use by your BIOS and then your graphics card, so extra info is needed. Please.

Very likely there won't be anything that will cause your unit not to be able to be upgraded to W7, but taking anything for granted with this sort of work is not a good thing to do, so we check stuff first and then move on.

Top Bottom