What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Short term teaching


Just me
20 Aug 2003
Reaction score
I completely understand your point about the teaching market being very crowded. I can imagine not being able to get a teaching job that is why initially I mentioned I am opened to suggestions about any other jobs which might be opened to someone like me.
Consider this:
I want to come to work in the UK. I come from a country with a totally different alphabet (Farsi, Russian, Greek, whatever), and I barely learned how to say or read English more than "hello", "thank you", and "where is the...?" I want to live in the UK but only for a few months and work while I'm there. I have no idea about flat rentals or how to get around, I have no idea how job interviews can be landed, and I don't have a skill set to fit any job except a specialized field in which I can't work there.

The dilemma is identical.

You aren't qualified for 99.9% of jobs here, mostly because of your language skills. Teaching English is a fall-back position for people like that. Any other job is going to be very menial, and even those preclude the fact that you may still have to know enough of the language to do the work. (ex. 7-Eleven clerks have to process paperwork and talk to customers when people want to send stuff or pay their home utility bills or other bills, and they have to deal with the truck drivers who come to deliver supplies.)

Mike Cash

15 Mar 2002
Reaction score
1. You are a physician
2. You have little free time for daily study
3. You can't easily take off for extended periods
4. Your goal is to learn Japanese
5. You want to minimize expenses
6. You have family in Osaka
7. English teaching is not conducive to Japanese learning
8. There are Japanese language schools in Osaka
9. You can work up to 28 hours per week as a student
10. You've been here many times and will be here many more.

Tell me if I got any of the above wrong.

I think it would be pure foolishness for you to come here and teach English.

Attend a language school in Osaka. Board with your in-laws. Work part-time if necessary. You'd learn more Japanese in a three month class at a school than you would during six months trying to work it in around a full-time teaching job, so if expense is that big a factor then it only makes sense to go for the shorter stay that gives more learning bang for the buck than the longer stay.

If you were like many people who are going to have this as their one and only Japan visit or extended stay in their lives, or who had no current or future real life use for the language, then I would suggest the longer English teaching stay. You need to make the best use of the opportunity to really get in some dedicated and concentrated study to give you a big boost in your Japanese. It is entirely possible for you to pass the national licensing exam for physicians and practice in Japan in the future, but it will require a lot of language learning. You know better than I do so tell me...between hours working in the hospital, keeping up with your ongoing professional studies, all the other things that make demands in your time...how many hours a day or week can you truly devote to Japanese study? Not a lot, I would imagine. Tell me how often you could step away and spend 3-6 months in dedicated and structured learning with teachers to help you and millions of people around you to practice on? This once....right?

I say again and more strongly, it would be foolish and an irresponsible use of a golden opportunity for you to come here and fart it away playing English teacher.

By the way, for a person in your situation a license to practice medicine in Japan would be indistinguishable from a license to print money.
Last edited:


Just me
20 Aug 2003
Reaction score
Add to what I just wrote and what Mike wrote the following:

You are eligible for a spousal visa simply because you are married to a Japanese. As mentioned earlier, you may be turned down for that because of where he resides. Does he have a residence in Japan?

Regardless of a yes, the procedure to get the visa takes time. I don't recall when you want to do this adventure, but factor in at least 2 months for that. Overall, a student visa seems the most likely course to take. You might look into an internship visa, but I think you're not interested, nor are you likely to be qualified for a cultural activities visa. Those are your visa routes. In order of likelihood in getting them, IMO you have this situation:
student visa
spousal visa
internship visa
cultural activities visa

You're not going to make much, perhaps even enough to live on, by going to school here and doing PT work. You also have to pay for the tuition up front or prove that you can before you get the student visa. Some schools don't want their students to work right away, either, so you might be prohibited for a few months, seriously cutting into any chance that you have at all of making money on the side.

If you don't plan to live with your in-laws (and I wouldn't fault you for that!), you'll have to contend with finding housing (unless hubby has a place). LeoPalace21 provides ready-furnished and Internet-connected apartments with weekly or monthly or longer contracts, and IMO that would be your best bet. Otherwise, to stay somewhere for 3-6 months would be very difficult to any realtor. Problem with LeoPalace is that I think you have to pay for the entire stay up front, plus a cleaning fee. Not sure you can manage that.

From Mike:
You'd learn more Japanese in a three month class at a school than you would during six months trying to work it in around a full-time teaching job
I agree 100 percent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom