What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Short-term ( < 1 year ) jobs in Japan

CorDarei

ロマンチスト
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

It's been a while since I last posted here (or at least in the Learning Japanese forum), but I have a question I hope someone (or someones) here may be able to help me with.

I'm about to graduate with a BS from a university here in the US, and I'm planning to go to graduate school in Japan. Since the school years don't align nicely, I have about 10 months before I could start grad school over there (assuming I get in ^^;) What I'd like to do is find a job over there that wouldn't require a long-term contract, so there'd be no problem quitting when I started school. My Japanese is good (JLPT Level 1), and I'd have a degree (in Computer Science), so the problem is really are there places that would hire me for less than a year? I don't really care what kind of job it is (I'd even work at an eikaiwa!). I've looked at a few websites suggested in this forum (like Fukuoka Now, Career Forum, and daijob.com), but I'd welcome any more suggestions of sites to look at, and also any other kind of advice no matter how vague or specific.

I'd also like to know how much easier it would be to find a short-term job if I was already in Japan.

Thanks in advance for any advice, encouragement, or just random noises!

Joseph

PS The eikaiwa comment was mostly sarcasm! :eek:

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
I think you are going to find that unless you get on a traineeship or an intracompany transfer, most contracts are going to be for a year. That won't stop you from quitting early, but in some fields (yes, eikaiwa) that might mean sacrificing the end-of-contract bonus that would otherwise make up for airfare.

Someone in IT with virtually no experience and a fresh degree usually has stiff competition. You may need some rather unique skills, otherwise local companies just might feel it is better to hire a local (who would take lower pay and live in cramped quarters). Perhaps your language ability will be an edge, but I think you'll still have a hard time.

Have you tried www.jobsinjapan.com ?

CorDarei

ロマンチスト
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I do have some experience at a couple software companies in the US and Japan (internships), but I guess I'd still be looking at a longer-term contract than I'd like. Not having to go back and forth for entrance exams may make up for losing any end-of-contract bonus, so I'll have to consider that I guess.

Companies try to reduce turnover, I know, so I don't really expect much, but somehow signing a year-long contract when I intend to be gone before then just seems... ethically dubious. That may not stop me in the end, though.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your input. I'll take a look at that site; who knows, maybe something will show up.

Joseph

Top Bottom