What's new

Shinto

Towlie2110

後輩
4 Dec 2003
I've had this discussion about the pronounciation of SHinto. he says Shin-toe i say Shine-toe. Which one is right or can it be said both, or are both wrong.

Unless for some reason there is an exception, Shinto would follow the standard pronouncation of Japanese syllables. Therefore it would be:

Shi n (closely pronounced as "shin" like the part of your body)
To (pronounced "toe")

So I would say Shin-toe is an accurate pronounciation.

How will a Japanese person's pronouncation differ from what I say? Just because I'm caucasian doesn't mean I don't know what I saying. If you want a true Japanese to answer you I suggest you go to Japan.

Shinto | Define Shinto at Dictionary.com

Shinto
Pronouncation Key:
"sh" ship, dish
"i" pit
"n" no, sudden
"to" toe

Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

In the office I work in, filled to the gills with Japanese nationals (I am in Japan after all), no one says "shine-toe." A quick poll by the Mandylion Polling Agency found a 100% response to the "Shin-toe" option as being correct. "Shine-to" drew responses of "ちょっと変ね..." (that is a big off...).

But you know what they say about polls.

Originally posted by Towlie2110
I've had this discussion about the pronounciation of SHinto. he says Shin-toe i say Shine-toe. Which one is right or can it be said both, or are both wrong.
And now some inside information for future wagering : anything approximating our "shine" in Japanese, needs an "ai" combination -- a "shi" syllable at the beginning of a word is nearly always if not invariably "ship or dish," as SacredBlue pointed out.

Although pronunciation tends to be an afterthought at times, and maybe you are supposed to -- the only difference with "toe" and my shinto "to" would be not holding it out that extra split second. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom