What's new

Shinkansen query

Ben W Bell

先輩
13 Sep 2004
So in November I will be getting the Shinkansen from Osaka to Fukuoka, and then back again three weeks later. Am I better off seeing about booking a ticket (and a seat) before I go, or just turning up and buying one?

I don't really remember, but I think the earlier you book a ticket the cheaper it is. Maybe that's just for bus rides and flights.

I think you should be fine buying your tickets on the day of your trip. November isn't a busy travel period, so you should be able to find open seats quite easily. I can't think of any other benefits of reserving your shinkansen ticket in advance other than the peace of mind that you have secured a seat.

In the worst case scenario, you can always get a "jiyuu-seki" ticket and stand in the aisle if you absolutely have to. I've done that a number of times between Osaka and Yamaguchi. Not fun, but it gets the job done.

I'd buy one in advance, that way you have a higher chance of being able to buy a reserved seat instead of having to hunt for un-reserved seats or having to stand the whole journey if it's really crowded. Good luck!! 👍

leonmarino! Great minds think....at the same time!

You can certainly get your shinkansen tickets in advance; there's nothing wrong with that at all. I personally don't like to hassle with buying shinkansen tickets in advance, but to elaborate on my previous post, it's only been a problem so far when I tried to take the last shinkansen for that particular Sunday (it was always a Sunday night) from Osaka that would get all the way to Fukuoka. Other than that, I've never had a problem obtaining a reserved ticket.

And in all fairness, at that time, I was too cheap to ante up the extra 500 yen required for a reserved seat, so I didn't even try.

Hey Mikawa!! You here!? :D
Anyway, I prefer buying tickets in advance.. And try to get a seat in the middle of the wagon; last time I had a seat near the door, and a few guys without tickets for the reserved seats were standing there, talking and whatever, because they apparently didn't want to stand in the crowded wagons.. Very annoying. 😌

Only once have I ever bought a Shinkansen ticket within an hour or two of the departure time. It was no problem. I usually buy them the day before.

ひかりレールスター

Am I better off seeing about booking a ticket (and a seat) before I go, or just turning up and buying one?
An unreserved coach seat in Hikari Railstar is recommended, since Shin'osaka station is the origin and Hakata is the final destination: means that seating guranteed by standing on the platform a little earlier than others to be on top of the line, empty cars without passengers from Tokyo or Nagoya.

Train leaves every hour (every half hour during peak periods) anyway.
Regional rail pass available too.

link

Back
Top Bottom