What's new

Sharia in Britain... What the hell?

Haruspex

先輩
30 Aug 2007
The Times & The Sunday Times

Please spend a couple of minutes on reading this.
Now, I must ask, is the Archbishop of Canterbury completely retarded?
I mean, hey, this can't work, Britain has its own laws, how can they practice sharia as well? Women from several countries escape to Britain to be free from the worst BS (aka Sharia), just to be haunted by the ghosts of the past, moreover, the person who is supposed to be the spiritual and cultural leader of native English (religious) people sides with extremists. Someone please smack him.

First of all, I do not see that there is anything to be overly concerned about. Then, on the presentation itself...I must say that it's of the type of that I seem to be fond of, linguistically, and stylistically, that is--a lot of words that give a lot of nuances and angles, in an effort to ecompass as much field as possible, as few cracks as possible--but then making it as hard as possible to cut through to the point. (as is usally what most want)

I will have to go over it again, and then even once more, to really be able to see anything, yet at the moment, I can say that one possible motive at hand, is to protect the Abrahamic faith at large! It is pointed out that there are both the conservative Jewish system's law, and the more overall Islamic law, which both make communal sub-jurisdictions, and it also points out the overall rights of religious followers to their respective rights, and that all seems to be in spite of reasons to understand that religious belief-systems are both chronologically and empirically out of place.

As I read into it more, I'll come back here. In the meantime, I reason that there is nothing to worry about. It's somewhat media hype...including the original purpose for the presentation.

This is really screwed up. What in God's name would make him say something like that? If Barak Hussein Obama gets elected in the US, and don't snicker, we may hear the same thing in the not too distant future. Don't say it's all hype (as it may well be), but he said it for a reason and, as of yet I don't know what those reasons are. Is this the future of the UK?

Follow-up story here: Archbishop Should Resign!

However, one possible reason why he said any of it at all, was that which can attributed to hype--that which is to raise emotional excitement, beyond what data and facts can support.

In that the whole thing is attached to an idea/concept to which we usually attach the word god, I agree, it is really screwed up.

I wouldn't worry too much. Various religious leaders in the UK usually come out with idiot ramblings like this. It seems that spending too much time thinking about God screws their minds up and they are determined to make a fool out of themselves once in a while.

I wouldn't worry too much. Various religious leaders in the UK usually come out with idiot ramblings like this. It seems that spending too much time thinking about God screws their minds up and they are determined to make a fool out of themselves once in a while.

I suppose thats how it is, but still you don't hear the Archbishop of Canterbury promote Islam extremism everyday, besides, its the Archbishop of Canterbury... I mean since when is he a legislative body?

I agree with Mycernius, it seems like a lot of fuss about nothing. The Times article is so devoid of any content beyond the hype that I went to the transcript of the archbishop's lecture. I gave up halfway down the first page. If anyone can decipher what he actually said without losing the will to live, a synopsis would be nice.

Pachipro said:
Is this the future of the UK?
Not a chance. Worst case scenario out of this is that the archbishop is forced to resign.

If they want Sharia laws, they should go back to Middle East. Once they enter another country, they are submitted to its laws, not the other way around.
It's just ridicilous.

Back
Top Bottom