What's new

Shanghai by Yokomitsu Riichi

Sausage is used just as a metaphor of "a long thing" there, and ったらありゃしない is for emphasis.
She is basically saying that she wants to marry with 参木. She is bored to be alone. She thinks she must still keep on idly hanging around also in the future if she is alone (not married/not with someone).

Sausage is used just as a metaphor of "a long thing" there, and ったらありゃしない is for emphasis.
She is basically saying that she wants to marry with 参木. She is bored to be alone. She thinks she must still keep on idly hanging around also in the future if she is alone (not married/not with someone).

Thank you!

Hi Tori! Any idea of what ラップボート could mean?

打ち合うラップボートの音響と叫喚に攻め寄せられて、次第に反共産派の工人たちは崩れて来た

ラップ seems to be シート状の綿を捲いたもの, so it might be a stand/rack/table for ラップ.

Hi Tori, I'm confused about this bit: もはや群衆は中央部の煽動に完全に乗り上げた, Literally it means: The crowd was already completely stranded in the middle of the agitation. What am I missing? Thanks!

中央部 is not a location there. It refers to the central section of the group/union/party who planed the demonstration.
This is not a common usage, but the writer would use 乗り上げる as an emphasized form of 乗る, i.e., I think it means "the crowd was drawn into the agitation."

Hi Tori! In this passage: その外界の混乱に浮き上った自身の重心を軽蔑する気になった. Did the character feel disdain for himself (his center of gravity)? I didn't get it.

I think it's not himself but more likely his passion. 浮き上った自身の重心 would refer both to his real situation 彼は跳ね起るように、地上の群衆の中へ延び上ろうとした and his emotion.

Hi Tori! Just to check. Is she saying that she is not busy now?: ええ、有りがとうございます。あたくし、今は忙がしくってなりませんの

That's opposite in meaning.

忙がしくってなりません/忙しくてならない = 忙しくて仕方ない/しょうがない = とても忙しい
cf.
うれしくてならない = うれしくて仕方ない/しょうがない = とてもうれしい
残念でならない = 残念で仕方ない/しょうがない = とても残念だ

That's opposite in meaning.

忙がしくってなりません/忙しくてならない = 忙しくて仕方ない/しょうがない = とても忙しい
cf.
うれしくてならない = うれしくて仕方ない/しょうがない = とてもうれしい
残念でならない = 残念で仕方ない/しょうがない = とても残念だ

I see, thank you Tori!

Hi, Tori. In the passage: 僕は今日のあなたの御立腹を妨害するためにいうんじゃありませんが、僕はただどんなに老獪なことも、その老獪さを無用にするような鍛錬といいますか Does Sanki mean that doesn't matter the kind of cunning, it can be "defused" by some kind to practice/training?

The point is that 参木 didn't complete the sentence. He wanted to say something like; 僕はただどんなに老獪なことも、その老獪さを無用にするような鍛錬といいますか、そのようなものがあれば覆せると思うんです。, but he stopped to say the rest. Your understanding is mostly correct, but that's どんなに, not どんな, so it's more likely "however cunning it is".

Hi! Could I translate 引き摺り降ろす as make someone feel depressed/ruining the mood? 「いや、誤解なさらんように。僕はあなたを引き摺り降ろそうと企(たく)らんでいるんじゃありませんよ。ただどうしたことか、こういう所であなたと御一緒になってしまったというだけです。これはあなたにとっては御不幸かもしれませんが、僕には、何よりこれで、もう幸福なんです。ただ僕には、もう希望がないだけです。どうぞ。」

It's "to force out from her position". She said previously she wouldn't be able to anything if she does/they do such a thing. Sanki is referring to it, and saying that he doesn't have such intention.

あたくしたちが、もしあなたのお考えになっているようなことに頭を使い始めましたら、もう何事も出来ませんわ。あたくし、これから、まだまだいろいろな仕事をしなければなりませんのに。

Thank you, Tori! I'm trying to find an "elegant" way to translate it. Could I say that Sanki doesn't want to prevent her from doing her obligations/doing what her position demands?

Hi again Tori. How should I translate これでたいていのことじゃないことよ? "It is not something you should find unusual"?

あなたにしたって、あたしがどんな女だっていうことぐらい、一と目見ればお分りになりそうなもんじゃないの。それにあたしにお嫁入の話なんか仰言(おっしゃ)って、あたしが冗談にしてしまうことだって、これでたいていのことじゃないことよ。」

Hi Tori, how should I read the name here? Just Chen or is it a nickname?: もう今夜、あたくしたちは危険かと思われます。いろいろ有り難うございました。どうぞ、それではお身体お大切にしなさいませ。もしまだこの上永らえるようなことでもございましたら、北四川路のジャウデン・マジソン会社の小使(こづかい)、陳に王の御名でお訊ね下さいませ。では、さようなら

陳 is the name of 小使, and 王 is the false name 参木 should use at the time, thus, she is saying "please ask 陳 in the name of 王".

陳 is the name of 小使, and 王 is the false name 参木 should use at the time, thus, she is saying "please ask 陳 in the name of 王".

Oh, I see. Thank you , Tori!

And do you know how should I translate these names in Chinese? I've found Chen and Wang, so would it be: "ask for Chen in the name of Wang"?

Hi again! In the passage bellow, when Sanki says こりゃ新しかろう, he is refering to the situation as a whole, which must be something Miyako has never heard before, right? He is not saying that his clothes are new.

それから、ここだ。僕が何(な)ぜ殺されないかと考えた。すると僕はこんな支那服を着流してうろつき廻っていたからなんだ。しかし、それなら何ぜ支那服なんか着て歩くと君は思うかも知れないが、この支那服を着てないと相手の女と逢ったって、役に立たぬ。そこが僕の新しい苦悶なんだ。どうだ、こりゃ新しかろう

Back
Top Bottom