What's new

Shanghai by Yokomitsu Riichi

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Here: 君、あそこの隅にスラッピングがあるだろう。その横で、ほら、こちらを向いた

Could スラッピング=slapping(?) be some kind of machine used in the cotton processing industry? Couldn't find anything, but that would be my guess.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Then wouls it be something more like: "Well, you can cry foolishly as much as you want" (Sanki saying it to himself)?
Yes, that's right.

Here: 君、あそこの隅にスラッピングがあるだろう。その横で、ほら、こちらを向いた

Could スラッピング=slapping(?) be some kind of machine used in the cotton processing industry? Couldn't find anything, but that would be my guess.
I've never heard it, either, but yes, google search results suggest that スラッピング is a machine for twisting/plying threads.

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi again! How would you interpret this passage: 彼は再び芳秋蘭を捜して見た。振り廻される劉髪(りゅうはつ)の波の上で刺さった花が狂うように逆巻いていた。焔を受けて煌(きら)めく耳環の群団が、腹を返して沸き上る魚のように沸騰した。

Sanki looks for Qiulan again, ok. But is she the flower he is refering to? Is she the one dashing madly in the opposite direction of the sea of disheveled hair? And are her earrings the ones which are sparkling? What would 群団 be? Well, I'm totally lost here. :(

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Those descriptions are for the women workers, not for 芳秋蘭. He is looking for her, but has not found yet. A few lines later, there is a sentence すると、参木の前の陥没帯の波の端から芳秋蘭の顔が浮き上った。. He has found her at this time. Thus, 群団 refers to the women workers. 花 is also a metaphor of something (fire?).

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Those descriptions are for the women workers, not for 芳秋蘭. He is looking for her, but has not found yet. A few lines later, there is a sentence すると、参木の前の陥没帯の波の端から芳秋蘭の顔が浮き上った。. He has found her at this time. Thus, 群団 refers to the women workers. 花 is also a metaphor of something (fire?).
Thank you! That would be my guess, in the English version, the translator considered Qiulan the the "flower", but I had my doubts, there is too much imagery that needs to be interpreted and I disagree with his options on many instances.

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi! Does de author mean that Qiulan's eyes inpired more love than respect from Sanki?: 彼が彼女を礼節よりも愛した原因はその秋蘭の眼であった

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi, Tori!

Here: この次逢えば、冷い参木の胸を叩き得る手段を感じて、昂然として来たはずだのに

Could I translate the passage as (something in the sense of): When she met him again, she believed that it would be her moment of triumph, when she would strike the chest of the cold Sanki?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
I think この次逢えば、冷い参木の胸を叩き得る is a chunk, thus, it's more likely "When she met him again, she would be able to strike the chest of the cold Sanki, and she believed that it would be her moment of triumph."

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi Tori! I'm trying to figure out which would the function of 逆に be in the following passage: 彼は、その巨大な動物を浮き上らせた衣服の波の中から逆に野蛮な文明の建築を感じて来た, I've translated it more or less so: "From the middle of the wave of clothes which hoisted that huge animal, Sanki thought about (it reminded him of) the architecture of barbaric civilization.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The writer say that 動物 and 文明 are in opposite.