What's new

Article Shakujii Castle

Hiroto Uehara

Castle Walker
Contributor
9 Sep 2016
Hiroto Uehara submitted a new Article:

Shakujii Castle

Shakujii Castle (石神井城 Shakujii-jō) was located in what is nowadays Shakujii Park in Nerima Ward, western Tokyo. It was constructed in the late Kamakura Period (1185-1333) by the Toshima clan (豊島氏), very likely on older structures dating back to the Heian Period.

I visited the castle grounds, coming from Kami-Shakujii station on the Seibu Shinjuku Line. I had been walking through a calm residential area for about 20 minutes, crossing the Shakujii River (石神井川) which was the castle's southern line of defense, passing Hikawa Shrine. The shrine, constructed by the Toshima clan, is located at the outer perimeter of the former castle grounds.

This is also where the outer bailey was situated, but quite disappointingly nothing but the old moat remains.

View attachment 23721

View attachment 23722

Shakujii Castle is on the top of a small...

Read more about this article here...

Thanks for the article, I too knew nothing about this. I often visit the park when I'm in Tokyo, being just a couple of stops from my friend's house, as it's a pleasant a quiet place to spend in contemplation away from the hustle. I'll treasure my visits more now I know a bit more about it.

I am more than delighted that Mr Uehara agreed to publish his "Castle Walks" series on JREF! There is more to come, a lot more! :)

Back
Top Bottom