What's new

Shady HIV Testing Clinic?...

scaredybats

後輩
16 Jun 2011
I just went to the shadiest clinic in Shibuya for a rapid HIV test,... just wondering what anyones thoughts are on this. I tested negative, luckily, but when I got to the clinic, everything seemed normal. The receptionist was very polite and spoke great English, when she called my name for my turn to test, I walked down this hallway and then was told to turn the corner to.... a dirty old kitchen with an elderly Japanese woman standing beside an old chair in a nurse outfit! I should have just turned around and left, but stupidly I went ahead and sat down. The secretary asked me to hold out my arm and I immediately asked if the needle was new. She said of course it is, and the nurse pulled a small package off the shelf and showed me the needle inside, then she tore it open and showed it to me again. I went ahead, got the test, waited and got my negative result. Something just didn't sit right with me though,... I started having all these crazy what-ifs floating in my head and ran back to the clinic today to confirm again that the needle was new. The secretary was there and she assured me it was new and that after the test they properly dispose of the needle. Should I be worried at all or is this fine? I've been a nervous wreck waiting to take this stupid test, I hope I didn't put myself in a bad situation again... I told my friend and he said it should be fine, and assured me Japan isn't some third world country and they're not going to go around reusing needles which would be crazy. Right??

I'm no expert but needles aren't greatly valuable anymore so I, too, would be inclined to say that in a first world country it seems unlikely that they would risk infections and all the problems that they would entail for a few needles. That said, you might want to contact the appropriate health authority and perhaps even have a test or tests done at a reputable clinic the health authority recommends. That way your fears would probably disperse.

*UPDATE*

I went back to the clinic and wanted to update this thread. I actually had a much better experience this time, the doctor was very patient and spoke great English and he was very attentive to my concerns. When I first went, it was night time and the space was very dark, the experience was very scary and got the better of me, as I have been extremely anxious for the last few months. I think I let paranoia take over and override my common sense. I mean, it would be absurd for any clinic that advertises HIV testing to ever use a dirty or reused needle, that's just insane thinking. There were many people waiting in the lobby this time, and the last time I went there were mothers and children in there, so they are a legitimate clinic. They are also listed on a Tokyo government website which I later found, so they must be following standards. The doctor himself is very friendly and professional and I feel that I can trust him.

I'm starting to feel kinda bad about this thread. I've been digging hard to find information about situations like this, and whether or not I had even the slimmest chance of putting myself at risk for something(I mean, come on, it's a clinic that offers HIV testing as one of it's highlights! Not a rural clinic in a town of eldery people). I finally started coming across articles talking about how clinics in Japan are generally old, decrepit, and poorly maintained, and somehow this is normal. I guess I just haven't been to enough clinics in Japan to really have a feeling for what's normal here. Going to a Starbucks or BIC Camera and it's super clean and bright and modern, then go to this place and it's dark inside, everything is old and their name is taped together and peeling off their mailbox out front(but their website is spotless and modern!!). I guess having my blood drawn in a dark kitchen at night by an elderly woman likely over 100 yrs old with a single fluorescent light while sitting in a school chair will leave a mark on anyones memory. I should have paid closer attention to the signs on their wall in the lobby, I only recognized it on the way out that they are shutting off lights to conserve power. So moral of the story, I guess this is just how clinics are in Japan unless someone has a better story or thinks perhaps I did just sign my death sentence going there.

You shouldn't feel bad about being concerned, scaredybats. This is what we're here for, so do us all a favor and post some more! Your experiences, opinions, and concerns are of great interest to us.

I think this is a great thread. I, and others, can easily relate to feelings of concern or paranoia in an unfamiliar situation. It's a step-by-step example of how you investigated and made sure to find out information and get to the bottom of this concern.

You have nothing to feel bad about.

I've been reflecting on it a lot, I guess I'm used to seeing beautiful clean and new hospitals and clinics overseas. Here in Tokyo they all seem depressing, old and run down, like the staff and owners don't care at all about maintaining them. This clinic just confuses me to no end, they're only open for about 6 hours a day, closed on Sunday, and their office still looks ancient. They could at least put a new sign up at the front of the elevator in their building. I shouldn't worry though, I asked the nurse if the needle was new and she said yes, the secretary said yes it's new, there's no reason on earth for them to say yes and then use some crazy thing on me. When I went back later the secretary said she watched the nurse open a new needle and that there's no way it was used or old or anything. I think I've fallen into this crazed state of paranoia, questioning everything. I just wonder how many other people go to places like this, get blood drawn or get a shot from a Japanese doctor in a scary dark room and walk away thinking, "oh, that was fine, no problem there!" I need to get outside more and clear my head, this is nuts thinking this stuff... :(

I've been reflecting on it a lot, I guess I'm used to seeing beautiful clean and new hospitals and clinics overseas. Here in Tokyo they all seem depressing, old and run down, like the staff and owners don't care at all about maintaining them. This clinic just confuses me to no end, they're only open for about 6 hours a day, closed on Sunday, and their office still looks ancient. They could at least put a new sign up at the front of the elevator in their building. I shouldn't worry though, I asked the nurse if the needle was new and she said yes, the secretary said yes it's new, there's no reason on earth for them to say yes and then use some crazy thing on me. When I went back later the secretary said she watched the nurse open a new needle and that there's no way it was used or old or anything. I think I've fallen into this crazed state of paranoia, questioning everything. I just wonder how many other people go to places like this, get blood drawn or get a shot from a Japanese doctor in a scary dark room and walk away thinking, "oh, that was fine, no problem there!" I need to get outside more and clear my head, this is nuts thinking this stuff... :(

It's not insane to think the way you are at all, scaredybats! In fact, it is definitely sane to be concerned! The place looked shoddy. You came onto this forum to request an opinion. This is perfectly acceptable. I only ask that you keep coming back when you have questions and sharing your experiences in Japan with the forum.

Back
Top Bottom