What's new

Sexual education

Picardo

後輩
5 Aug 2003
When does the sexual education start in Japan, i know that in GB they start with it when they are aprox 17 years old, and then they complain about the amount of teen pregnancies. And when i say sexual education i meen for some exemples how to get birthcontroll pills and things like that.
Something i allso want to know is the price of condoms in japan, cause i have heard that they are very expensive in the USA so i'm curious about if it's something like that in Japan also.

I don't know about Japanese condoms, but american condoms are like 10$, a little bit more, maybe 12$ for a 12 pack with usually contains an extra one, and those little three packs cost like just under 5$ or maybe 4$ or so, I usually buy 12 packs. The 36 packs cost around 20$. I think these prices are crazy but what am I going to do about it. I don't like kids.

-X-

you go to a public high school in los angeles and they give em out for free... but i dont know if i would use ones from school

they really don't start sex ed til 17 in GB? that doesn't seem right, wouldn't most people have figured it out for themselves by then? lol

yeah or you can goto a free clinic and they give them away there too, but usually the crappy ones...

From what I understand--at least where my husband is from--they are only taught about one hour's worth of sex education in their whole, entire high school career, and then, it was only to "tell how to get pregnant". Maybe someone else knows more than I do, because maybe it varies from place to place, but at my husband's high school in the Aichi prefecture, they were taught sex education in only one hour--maybe two. Which, by the way, didn't seem to be enough for some of the Japanese girls I knew. I once had a lesson in my living room one day with 3 of my Japanese friends on when and what exactly happens to your body during the time you are able to get pregnant. None of them knew at what time of the month they could get pregnant and they knew nothing about what was going on in their body at that time and knew nothing about the mechanics of fertilization(besides that, I mean) and implantation and all of that. I guess that was where being the daughter of a sex ed. teacher came in handy...

I do know that birth control pills are not widely used in Japan. When I was taking them while my husband and I were dating, he was scared they would "mess up" my body and couldn't understand why I would take them, because "they are not popular in Japan". Also, as a general rule, tubal ligations are not done over there either. They see that as kind of self-mutilation or something of the sort--that you shouldn't cut anything on your body that doesn't need to be cut. I wound up doing that anyway, though, after my children were born. It really shocked all of my Japanese friends and my husband's co-workers. I think condoms are the main method of birth control in Japan, no? Well...I know of some other smart answers, but I'm being serious here...:p

The Material Child by Merry White puts Japanese teenagers in comparison with American teenagers and let me tell you right now, if you have ANY questions concerning sex in Japan or anything else that concerns youth in Japan then check that book out, I found/still find it hard to believe it's main purpose is for Sociological studies rather than my own entertainment.

It looks like this book is out of print but you can still find it online (lucky for me I already own a copy,)

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts...254/qid=1063304491/sr=1-2/002-3507885-7224866

Josh

350 en

for a badtzmaru one, during my first trip
i actually thought it was 10 for that price, but it turned out to be the weight of the box :(

A typical pack of condoms in japan can cost like 1100窶ー~ for 12... or you could be cheap like me and buy 3 x 12 packs for 400窶ー~ it really varies alot here.

As for Japan's sex ed... kirei na me's husband has it summed up there perfectly. 1 hour worth of sex ed is what I heard to... and that sexual educatio is mainly a promotion of sexual intercourse .. nothing like the dangers or accidental pregnancys.. basically you get taught for 1 hour that sex is good and you should do it... can you believe that before 1999 japan had NO age of concent?

anyway this whole "sex is good" sex ed makes japan into a rape machine... 16,000+ chinese women raped in 3 weeks by japanese men proves that point. I really think they shoudl start sex ed at 16 here and continue it regulaly for 4 years on a weekly basis.

I also don't think they teach it enough there, because you have quite a few women that have no idea about their bodies, what parts are where, and how they function, and I don't think that's too cool. I had one friend who didn't know what the cervix was and that it had to dilate in order to deliver a baby, even after she had a baby.

Sorry to get graphic guys....

Originally posted by SalaryMan
anyway this whole "sex is good" sex ed makes japan into a rape machine... 16,000+ chinese women raped in 3 weeks by japanese men proves that point. I really think they shoudl start sex ed at 16 here and continue it regulaly for 4 years on a weekly basis.

Thats all just because Japanese Adult Animation and/or hentai. I can remember on one occasion while at a love-hotel with my current girlfriend we had the 'Adult Channel' in the background, it had an Anime on, so I watched it and it was all demons, things with tentacles and five minutes into it I found myself trying to mimic one of the demons by placing an entire half of my girlfriend's chest in my mouth (not to go into any gross detail,) but yeah, I think that has a big influence.

Also if you watch the Adult Channel's at the Love hotels they always have Intros before the new shows start and 99.8% (When it's not a taboo,) It's an older man 35-50 and a really young girl 18-22, i'm serious and I remember this one night I asked the girl I was with why they had it on because it was grossing me out and she said it was because 'Salary men' are one of the most common users of the love hotels, sadly it's often with young school girls and it's there to "aide them". That's messed up, seriously.

Josh

Oh yeah, that's sad about those young girls with those older men. But you know what, "they got a thing for that Gucci, that Fendi, that Prada"(as 50 Cent would say), and some of them are going to do whatever it takes to get it. Even where my friend lives near Gifu prefecture--which is more countryside--it's rampant there, too, she said. My friend's friend and other aquaintances were/had been pregnant and didn't know who they belonged to, because they'd been with so many "for getting gifts"...

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Oh yeah, that's sad about those young girls with those older men. But you know what, "they got a thing for that Gucci, that Fendi, that Prada"(as 50 Cent would say), and some of them are going to do whatever it takes to get it. Even where my friend lives near Gifu prefecture--which is more countryside--it's rampant there, too, she said. My friend's friend and other aquaintances were/had been pregnant and didn't know who they belonged to, because they'd been with so many "for getting gifts"...
And here is just the latest (of way too many 😭 enjo kosai threads I could find.....

http://forum.japanreference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3012&highlight=enjo

> None of them knew at what time of the month they could get pregnant and they knew nothing about what was going on in their body at that time

Sounds like you need some updated info yourself. ;-)

MSNBC News - Breaking News and News Today | Latest News

Standard medical science says a woman has a cycle running roughly 28 days in which an egg ripens, is released by the follicle, drops into the fallopian tube, and then is either fertilized or shed during menstruation.
?We had 63 women with normal menstrual cycles. Of those 63, only 50 had normal ovarian cycles,? Pierson said.
Thirteen of the women ovulated multiple times, in various different ways. And of the other 50, 40 percent had up to three waves of activity by the follicles, any one of which could result in the production of an egg.
?It really explains how we get fraternal twins with different conception days,? Pierson said. ?Clinically, we see this all the time. We see women come in with twins and when we do an ultrasound we see one is at one 10 weeks development and another at seven.?

> I had one friend who didn't know what the cervix was and that it had to dilate in order to deliver a baby, even after she had a baby.

And why should she have known this? I know women who don't know what a transmission is but they use one to drive a car. ;-)

> None of them knew at what time of the month they could get pregnant and they knew nothing about what was going on in their body at that time

Sounds like you need some updated info yourself. ;-)

MSNBC News - Breaking News and News Today | Latest News

Standard medical science says a woman has a cycle running roughly 28 days in which an egg ripens, is released by the follicle, drops into the fallopian tube, and then is either fertilized or shed during menstruation.
ツ"We had 63 women with normal menstrual cycles. Of those 63, only 50 had normal ovarian cycles,ツ" Pierson said.
Thirteen of the women ovulated multiple times, in various different ways. And of the other 50, 40 percent had up to three waves of activity by the follicles, any one of which could result in the production of an egg.
ツ"It really explains how we get fraternal twins with different conception days,ツ" Pierson said. ツ"Clinically, we see this all the time. We see women come in with twins and when we do an ultrasound we see one is at one 10 weeks development and another at seven.ツ"

> I had one friend who didn't know what the cervix was and that it had to dilate in order to deliver a baby, even after she had a baby.

And why should she have known this? I know women who don't know what a transmission is but they use one to drive a car. ;-)

Whatever. I think that if you are having babies, you should at least know what's going on. I think for a lot of women, that's common knowledge.

By the way, I know very well that not all women's cycles are alike. That's also....common knowledge? I'm a doula, once an aspiring midwife, mother is sex ed. teacher for 30 years, and besides all of that, I'm a mother of 3.

I think not knowing what a transmission is and driving a car is completely different from not knowing what the functions of organs unique to your own body are. Especially if you're actually using them to produce another human being.

*edit* Okay, maybe I'm being a little emotional and woman-like this morning. Let me just say that yeah, I know cycles are different, producing more than just one egg in a cycle, and such. If a woman doesn't know how her body works, then that's fine with me. Look, it's early in the morning, I'm dealing with 2 of my kids going to school for the first time in their lives, empty nest syndrome, hormones...you know...that kind of thing.... ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm...about the "Pill" taking...
I absolutely agree... seems that most Japanese think it is "unnatural" to use the Pill...
*and* any other medicine for that matter...
say... if someone has a wheezy chesty cough for example... for a few years even...it wouldn't occur to that person that perhaps they have asthma and should see a doctor about it & get medicine to solve the problem...
(possibly... as has been mentioned in another thread... even the Japanese doctors seem to be reluctant to give medicine!-o.o!)
Also, it seems that the Japanese tend to delude themselves into thinking that they are immune to most afflictions...
try mentioning something as simple as "maybe you are allergic to".... *whatever*... pollen, animals,silver... anything... to a Japanese person & they will deny it completely... even if they have a runny rose & teary eyes on high pollen count days... even if they get a little rash where they insist on wearing silver...
it seems as though there is the idea in their minds that admitting to these problems somehow reduces them.
They would much prefer to simply suffer through it than seek out any medicine that may help them.
Also, it seems that you are judged as "weak" if you happen to have any of these things wrong with you -_-!
It makes me *really* depressed thinking how people who are really sick or have learning or physical disablities must be treated in Japan -_-!
Anyway.... I remember my J-girlfriend mentioning about those girls that have sex "for gifts"... & after browsing this forum a bit... & checking out some things...
I see that this is a common problem! - ;_;
ah, the thought of someone giving their body in exchange for something as *stupid* as a designer bag or whatever!...;_;...
*sooo* sad!...
especially a young girl with an old salaryman - ;_;
& o.0!!!... no age of consent until 1999!!! - o.0!!!...
how can the Japanese be so advanced in some areas & so backwards in others?
There really needs to be a radical overhaul in Japanese Sex education!... & in peoples attitudes towards sex.... sex isn't just *good*... sex can bring unwanted lives into the world..... & there are diseases to be concerned about too....
it seems like Japanese girls are in the dark about some simple facts too... like that diseases & infections *can* be spread through oral sex... theis kind of thing should be common knowledge.
There needs to be a change in the Japanese attitude towards sickness & *real* medicine....
(perhaps, most likely, it is looked down on if you are a Japanese girl who is on the Pill?... & most are too ashamed to try & get such things?.... perhaps it's even difficult to get such things over there?... I'm only guessing, but I have a feeling I may be right!)
& there needs to be some common sense education that lets girls know that they *are* someone special... even *without* that famous designer bag!
Sex for fashion... that pathetic materialistic idea makes me *sick* - ;_;
About the "tubal ligation" kind of thing... yep... I remember mentioning that my father had been "fixed" to my J-girlfriend & she had no idea what I was taking about... & when I explained it to her she was shocked!... at first she pictured that my fathers testicles had been removed! - o.0!..anyway....I explained & she had no idea that such a thing could even be done & was very surprised that it was pretty common - o.0!...
what do married couples with kids in Japan do?... do they just not have sex at all? o.o?

This topic reassures my own beliefs and I now know that my choice of me being a virgin until marriage is the right thing.

Josh

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Whatever. I think that if you are having babies, you should at least know what's going on. I think for a lot of women, that's common knowledge.

By the way, I know very well that not all women's cycles are alike. That's also....common knowledge? I'm a doula, once an aspiring midwife, mother is sex ed. teacher for 30 years, and besides all of that, I'm a mother of 3.

I think not knowing what a transmission is and driving a car is completely different from not knowing what the functions of organs unique to your own body are. Especially if you're actually using them to produce another human being.

*edit* Okay, maybe I'm being a little emotional and woman-like this morning. Let me just say that yeah, I know cycles are different, producing more than just one egg in a cycle, and such. If a woman doesn't know how her body works, then that's fine with me. Look, it's early in the morning, I'm dealing with 2 of my kids going to school for the first time in their lives, empty nest syndrome, hormones...you know...that kind of thing.... ;)

I was just messing with ya. I didn't really expect you to be aware of research that just came out this year.
I was also mostly jesting when I came up with the car analogy. I meet guys all the time who don't know where their seminiferous tubules are or that they even have any. I know it's shocking but what're you gonna do? ;)

Enjoy your free time now that you have the opportunity.

Originally posted by mdchachi
Enjoy your free time now that you have the opportunity.

Thank you, mdchachi. If I can just get through the stress of them being gone first. I think I have almost adjusted, though. It doesn't help when my mom is going around saying(regarding my oldest starting Kindergarten), "this is the end of the innocence"... :eek:

I do look forward to getting used to it all, though, and enjoying my free time...*dreaming*

Back
Top Bottom