What's new

Several Questions

david000758

Registered
12 Jun 2015
Hi. I just have a few questions.
1) In English, we have prefixes and suffixes for words. For example "re" in front of a word means to do the action again. I've noticed a similar type of grammar in Japanese, but I've never seen it discussed anywhere. For example, attaching 直す to a verb stem has a similar meaning to the prefix "re" in English. I've seen many others common ones like 込む、 付ける、 上げる、出す, etc. Should I approach verbs with one of the previously mentioned verbs attached to the verb stem as a completely new word, or is there a shortcut for interpreting what the verb combination means (like the concept of prefixes and suffixes in English).

2) How exactly do you use 付ける. I see this EVERYWHERE, and it is frequently used in many different contexts. Many of the expressions involving 付ける are probably idiomatic too. Any tips for understanding how to use this word?

1)
See the following thread.
kureru,morau,ageru | Japan Forum

Thus, you can think that the meaning of a compound verb is from the combination of the two verbs, but the meaning of the second verb might be different from the original verb depending on the type of the verb.

examples of 後項動詞 "second compound verb"
兼ねる
to serve both as~ / to be both~
分かりかねる
not to be able to understand

込む
to be crowded
飛び込む
to jump into~/ to come rushing in~

2)
つける【付ける】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - 英語辞書 - goo辞書

Back