What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Article Setagaya Castle

Hiroto Uehara

Castle Walker
Contributor
Reaction score
Hiroto Uehara submitted a new Article:

Setagaya Castle

Once upon a time, right in the center of Tōkyō's Setagaya Ward near the present-day ward office, there was a small fortress called Setagaya Castle (世田谷城).

View attachment 24102

The ancient castle was located on the tip of a tongue-shaped plateau that stretched south from the hills between Gōtōkuji (豪徳寺駅) and Kyōdō (経堂駅) stations on Odakyu Line, surrounded by Karasuyama River (now a culvert).

View attachment 24103
This map is based Tokyo Terrain Map powered by gridscapes.net

Nowadays, the former inner bailey (本丸 honmaru) is located on the grounds of the adjacent Gōtōkuji temple, and the south-eastern enclosure of the castle became part of the Setagaya Castle Site Park.

On that day, I took a ride on one of Tōkyū Setagaya Line's petite green cars from Sangenjaya to Kamimachi, and then I walked 5 minutes to the park.

View attachment 24104

Although the former castle grounds are small in size,...
Read more about this article here...

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
I got some time off for good behaviour this afternoon and visited it!
To be honest, I wasn't very impressed, the interesting forested bit was completely fenced off, and it sounded like someone was inside there playing a radio very loudly! Gotokuji shrine was much impressive. I got a good photo of all the cat statues and the autumn colours were excellent. There are also some pleasant 'green roads' (烏山川緑通 and 北沢川緑通) nearby that I also explored.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom