What's new

Sentence translation help

killerinsidee

先輩
14 Dec 2013
「私だったら、今日は疲れたからいいやって、きっと思っちゃうな」- Context: A guy is talking to his friend who previously said that he will do something (even though he might be tired).

I'm wondering what the いいやって part is. Is it いい + やって(やる), いいや + って(と) or something else?
I'm guessing the meaning of this sentence is lit. "If it was me, I would surely think -i'm tired today so i'll pass on doing it-.". Not sure if that's correct. いいやって is kind of confusing me.

I found a similar usage on google「言葉にすれば消えちゃう関係なら 言葉を消せばいいやって 思ってた」, but it didn't help all that much.
(and I'm spamming the forum too much today :/ )

Your translation is correct. It's "いい + や(a sentence final particle) + って".

BTW, the speaker seems to be a woman.

I see, thanks. Mind if I ask what does the "や" mean here? I doubt it's the kansai ending thing. Without it 「今日は疲れたからいい」is just " Because (I'm) tired today, it's ok (not to do it / go)", I think.

Also, to confirm the meaning of that 2nd sentence I posted, does it mean something like - lit. "If the connection/link breaks if I put/express (something) in words, I should erase those words ( that's what I thought)". Not really sure how to define 言葉を消す here.

や is standard Japanese, not Kansai dialect here. It expresses the speakers assertion similar to よ, but is often used when talking to themselves. Furthermore, いいや often has a nuance of resignation to their fate.

FYI, Kansai version of いいや is ええわ.

Back
Top Bottom