What's new

Sentence Correction

Iwark

先輩
8 Oct 2006
Is english the same as Japanese? I mean, when I try to look up the meaning in the dictionary, I thought that's the only meaning.

For example: yarou=rascal

no, most translation is just an approximation. Yarou does not directly translate to "rascal." If English were the "same" as Japanese, there'd be no need to translate, would there.

Is english the same as Japanese? I mean, when I try to look up the meaning in the dictionary, I thought that's the only meaning.
For example: yarou=rascal

Look up "bow" in an English dictionary.

jaa, can you correct this:

kore wa nintendo wii desu yo=Say hello to the nintendo wii.

Is it correct?

jaa, can you correct this:
kore wa nintendo wii desu yo=Say hello to the nintendo wii.
Is it correct?

Completely different. The Japanese says "This is a Nintendo Wii" and makes sense in Japanese.
In English that doesn't sound too exciting, so its "Say hello to the Nintendo Wii"

Its called "poetic licence". Litrally translating Japanese to English, and English to Japanese gives you weird sentences that have little feeling or color.

Completely different. The Japanese says "This is a Nintendo Wii" and makes sense in Japanese.
In English that doesn't sound too exciting, so its "Say hello to the Nintendo Wii"
Its called "poetic licence". Litrally translating Japanese to English, and English to Japanese gives you weird sentences that have little feeling or color.

So, is it correct?

What's going on? Why do people think that there are bad words in japanese? I heard that "yarou" translates to bastard. "bastard" is a bad word so I thought "yarou" is a bad word. If people think there are bad words in japanese, why do the japanese word translate to bad words?

I could tell what kind of thread is this, so if I don't figure out what kind of thread my next thread is, it will be moved. I couldn't figure out what kind of thread is this thread, so you moved it.

So, is it correct?

No but yes. Litrally the meaning is completely different, but the idea is similar, which would make it correct.

What's going on? Why do people think that there are bad words in japanese? I heard that "yarou" translates to bastard. "bastard" is a bad word so I thought "yarou" is a bad word. If people think there are bad words in japanese, why do the japanese word translate to bad words?
I could tell what kind of thread is this, so if I don't figure out what kind of thread my next thread is, it will be moved. I couldn't figure out what kind of thread is this thread, so you moved it.

You can't just put words in a dictionary and expect it to "translate". One word can have different meanings, and how it is used will change the meaning.

This thread was moved? If it was, it was moved to the wrong forum. I'm putting it back in Learning Japanese (assuming that's where it came from).

This thread was moved? If it was, it was moved to the wrong forum. I'm putting it back in Learning Japanese (assuming that's where it came from).
Never mind what I said, it wasn't moved.

You can't just put words in a dictionary and expect it to "translate". One word can have different meanings, and how it is used will change the meaning.

Show me an example.

As is the case with most languages, If they would be interpreted directly into English the word order would not make sense. Yet for that language it would.

As is the case with most languages, If they would be interpreted directly into English the word order would not make sense. Yet for that language it would.
Thank you, but I thought the example would be an example sentence

kuria shippai=clear failure
Is there a better translation than that?

Sore ni sono bun wo honyaku dekimashita ka?:

I'm an utter fool=???????? ?? baka

Last edited:
I said "kuria shippai" not "hakkiri shita".
I guess you didn't make it clear which of the two sentences you wanted to translate. Elizabeth gave you a better translation for "clear failure".
Iwark;399395 said:
Tonikaku, sono bun wa dou?:
「とにかく、この文はどう?」 "kono", not "sono". sono implies prior knowledge, and I haven't read it yet.
Iwark;399395 said:
I'm an utter fool=???????? ?? baka
I don't know really... I can't imagine saying that quite so literally in Japanese. Maybe... 「バカなあ、俺は」. 😡

「俺の馬鹿!」ってどうですか。それとも、「馬鹿か、俺?!」。

I guess you didn't make it clear which of the two sentences you wanted to translate. Elizabeth gave you a better translation for "clear failure".
「とにかく、この文はどう?」 "kono", not "sono". sono implies prior knowledge, and I haven't read it yet.
I don't know really... I can't imagine saying that quite so literally in Japanese. Maybe... 「バカなあ、俺は」. 😡
Ok, I guess "hakkiri shita" may be a better tranlsation.. what I'm talking about is "kuria shippai". OK, let me write the full sentence of "I'm an utter fool".
go to Naruto 93 and go to time 1:52. If you do so, you will see what I'm talking about.

By providing a video and a time reference, you are answering your own question are you not? I'm not sure I understand what you are really after, I'm going to assume you want to know what she says. I had a listen, sounds something like:
「自分がどうしようもないばかやろうだってだ」
That is what is translated into "I'm an utter fool!".

By providing a video and a time reference, you are answering your own question are you not? I'm not sure I understand what you are really after, I'm going to assume you want to know what she says. I had a listen, sounds something like:
「自分がどうしようもないばかやろうだってだ」
That is what is translated into "I'm an utter fool!".
サンキュー。後はチェックしています。I'm trying to make sure it is correct.

Kono bun wa dou?:

ポケットモンスターはすべてを教えて=tell me all about pocket monsters.

Is that right?

Last edited:
Close...
「ポケットモンスターをすべて教えて」
I would have said ポケットモンスターについて(は)全て教えてください。
Using を to me is like "please tell me all the pocket monsters."

I would have said ポケットモンスターについて(は)全て教えてください。
Using を to me is like "please tell me all the pocket monsters." :note:
Thanks. ato wa check shiteimasu.

Let me think of a sentence. I was playing Metal Gear Acid, with that if La Clown appears, I would have to look at my partner's HP. But he appeared, with that the cheat guide says "get your eyes ready because you're going to have to tell which is the real teliko. Look at they're HP."

Now, what does "because" mean in this case?

Back
Top Bottom