What's new

Seeking new life in Japan.?

VFXGuY

後輩
17 Nov 2011
Hello, My name is Erick and i really want to move to Japan, and not because of anime...
I'm 23 years old Mexican American so i have dual citizenship and I'm willing to give them up for Japan. Since i was little i developed this obsession with Japanese culture my obsession was that great that basically forced me to learn Japanese on my own. I speak English, Spanish and Japanese... i graduated from Academy of Art University and my majors are CG/VFX and Motion graphics.

Is it possible to make my dream come true?
I need some advice.
oh and sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.
Thank you

Hello VFXGuY,

If I may, have you ever been to Japan before? If not I would suggest that you may want to take a trip to see what its like before you jump right in by moving there. You can get an inaccurate idea or feeling for a place if you have never really been there before and you may discover that its not like you imagined or hoped. I would just hate to see reality jump up and slap you in the face when you may not have a quick or easy way back home.

Beyond that you will have to figure out which VISA you need, find a job or school, an apartment or some place to live, and have enough money in hand to live on until you have a steady income in Japan.

If you search the forums you can find a lot of the information you need has already been posted in other threads. Have a look around and if you need more specific advice for your situation feel free to ask. Also remember to give as many relevant details about your situation as possible and practical so the advice given can be more accurate.

Oh, and welcome to the JREF forums! :)

You don't have to give up either of your citizenships to live and work in Japan. Why would you think that you had to do that? Many of us have lived here for decades and still retain our citizenship from our homeland. You get the proper visa to start out, and than depending on circumstances, you get Permanent Resident status after that, not become a naturalized Japanese citizen (unless you really see some advantage to it).

I agree with Petaris' question: have you ever been here? If not, come to visit (more than once), but that will still give you only a taste. It will not show you what it's like to live and work here.

Would you be willing to explain your "obsession" about Japan?

To get into the industry related to your major, you're going to need to have high fluency in Japanese, even for entry level jobs. Most non-teaching jobs are like that. How is your language ability?

Yes Ive visited Japan twice and about the money I have plenty so money is not a big issue for me and Thank you guys and well I would rate my Japanese 8/10 and by obsession i mean attracted Japan inspires me i love their culture i love their language i love Japan

Having a lot of money in your pocket will not guarantee at all that you can live or find a job here. You will still need a proper visa status, whether as a worker, student, or dependent.

You have a degree, and I would not wave the Mexican nationality around, just the American one, so you are seen as more eligible for a work visa. However, to get a job in CG/VFX and Motion graphics would mean having a strong fluency in Japanese. You will also be competing against Japanese who know the field and have experience in Japan. Expect that you would only be offered the lowest rung jobs at first, if any at all. As Mike asked, it's not only speaking but reading/writing ability that you will need.

Got a timeline to get here?

Back
Top Bottom