What's new

Seattle - Your advice on life

Mandylion

Omnipotence personified
Contributor
15 Mar 2003
Forumites -

In the middle of August I will be bidding Japan a fond farewell (for the time being) and hoisting the proud and mighty banner of Mandylion in the great Evergreen State of Washington.

I will be looking for a place to live, and not knowing much about Seattle - me hailing from Eastern Washington - I seek the wise and sage advice of current Seattle residents concerning the city's neighborhoods; which ones should I look at, which are the ones to avoid, and the various highs and lows of renting in Seattle.

I need something affordable for a new family just getting its legs (no kids or pets) and hopefully close to the UW. Any advice and/or pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance - M 🙂

I've got a nice apartment on Queen Anne in Seattle and it's cheap because I have a roommate. There is lots of housing in North Seattle and most areas are pretty nice (Ballard, Fremont, U-district, Northgate, etc.). Don't live in the South, the Central District, maybe not Beacon Hill, Rainier Valley, or any suburb (but I'm a city snob). If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them. What part of Eastern Washington are you from? I spent four years in Pullman in college.

Ah, Pullman. Been though there a few times.

I spent most of my formative teenage years in the Walla Walla. Yes, folks, it does exist and it is a damn nice place if you stay away from the Pen and don't mind being downwind from one of the largest depos of chemical weapons in the world (Umatilla). And no, I don't know Tanya from the Real World, though apparently she went to school with me...

How easy is it to find apartments these days in Seattle, Brooker? Is the market pretty tight? Should I go through an agent or can things be found in the paper? Any listings (newspapers etc) I should check out? Thanks.

My roommate and I found our place through the newspaper. We checked out a lot of nice places and picked the one we liked best. It can be a bit of a chore, but I'm sure you'll find something. Housing is much more abundant in Seattle than it used to be, but it's still limited. There's no need to go through an agent.

Fantastic. Thanks for the advice. I'll leave enough time to find a place before classes start.

Back
Top Bottom