What's new

Scroll translation

johntravel

後輩
23 May 2017
Hi guys. I don't want to create new thread for this so I'll just post here. I run a japanese restaurant in my city and I received this really nice gift from my suppliers but their english is too poor to fully translate it for me. Could anyone tell me what is written here? I know that there is my restaurant name Zen On and it is something about good luck and good Udon noodles.

HELP PLZ :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 203
蘭陵美酒鬱金香
玉椀盛來琥珀光
但使主人能酔客
不知何處是他郷

The delicious wine of Lan-ling is of golden hue and flavorous.
Come, fill my precious glass, and let it glow in amber!
If you can only make me drunk, mine host, it is enough;
No longer shall I know the sorrow of a strange land.

(translated by Obata Shigeyoshi)

That's a famous Chinese poet Li Bai's poem 客中行 While Journeying. I think it's a very nice choice for a restaurant in a foreign country (from the viewpoint of Japanese people).
The kanji name of your restaurant is 繕温? The small column at the right end is the congratulations on the opening of your restaurant, but there doesn't seem to be any mention about good luck or good Udon noodles.

I think it's relatively common to present a calligraphy of a famous Chinese poem even in Japan.:)

Thank you very much. Maybe the guy who gave me this as a gift couldn't translate it at all and he told me his interpretation of this poem regarding udon noodle restaurant. I think it is really nice and suites my restaurant.

He knows I am opening a Japanese Udon restaurant because he is my supplier and we already talked about my menu ect ;)

Hi again,
Would any of You be so kind and translate another scroll?

Attachments

• JAPAN SCROLL.jpg
    JAPAN SCROLL.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 207
酒是百薬長
Sake is the best of all medicines.
(This is a well-known Japanese proverb.)

二千十五年日本酒の日???(鈴重書?)
Sake Day (=October 1st) 2015, (written by Suzushige?)

I'm not confident with the last three kanji. Do you have a close-up of the red stamp at the lower-left corner? It must be the name of the calligrapher.

Hi,
Thank you for helping me. Now I know why some Japanese people kept making selfies with this scroll and laughing :)
Here is zoom of those tiny kanji:

Attachments

• zoom-scroll.jpg
    zoom-scroll.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 192
The size of the left-end column is enough to read even in the initial photo. I'm talking about the red stamp at the end of it. If it's the artist's name, it might be identical to the last three kanji (or two of them).

You probably heard of Zen-on classical guitars of the 60's.
Here's a picture of mine. 1960 AG 6F model an all wood collector's model.

Zen-on guitar.JPG

Back
Top Bottom