What's new

Scroll Kanji translation

Tony Skeen

Registered
31 May 2017
I received a scroll from my instructor several years ago, he is now passed and I was unsure of all of the kanji brushed on it.

scroll 2.png

Not recognizing the kanji next to it, the "question mark" was particularly puzzling.

scroll 3.png

The "style" of brushing makes my limited understanding of the kanji difficult to verify, any help would be greatly appreciated.

上半 下半
The large kanji could be 郷, but I can't interpret the meaning anyway.

武に、先手なし
There is no forestalling in martial arts.

上半 下半
The large kanji could be 郷, but I can't interpret the meaning anyway.

武に、先手なし
There is no forestalling in martial arts.
That's the kanji for "village" (which wouldn't make any sense in this circumstance)
though the kana readings would confirm my suspicions in their regard, I just needed someone more familiar with them to verify.

上半 and 下半 just refer to "upper/first/former/ half" and "lower/second/latter half", respectively, so, for instance, 上半期 and 下半期 are "the first half of the year" and "the second half of the year". "Upper body" and "lower body" are 上半 and 下半, since 身 means "body".

上半 and 下半 just refer to "upper/first/former/ half" and "lower/second/latter half", respectively, so, for instance, 上半期 and 下半期 are "the first half of the year" and "the second half of the year". "Upper body" and "lower body" are 上半 and 下半, since 身 means "body".

Given the context (of the remainder of the scroll) "upper half", and "lower half" make more sense (with the information I was already given in regards to it). the remainder of the scroll depicts various body positions and movements so upper/lower (implied) "body" would make more sense.

Back
Top Bottom