What's new

Scared to ride the japanese underground

Jack

後輩
12 Jun 2004
We all know about the disgusting bomb attacks in good old London, how they targetted the trains of the London underground.
Does anyone who ride the underground worry before they ride?
not just the ones that live in japan, but for others that live in other countries, does anyone think about it before they get on the system?
I know theres the message of dont let the terrorists win and instill terror, but you've got to worry haven't you?

the only thing i worry about when waiting for trains is not to get too close to the edge of the platform

as to the possibility of terror attacks and so on, the one thing i can say is, "when your time comes, it comes...."

Well given that the terrorist attacks killed approximately 50 people and the population of London is about 7.2 million, this would give a one in one hundred and forty-four thousand chance of being killed in the last attack. The chance of being killed in a car crash in any given year in the US is about one in seventeen thousand. Take your pick.

Silverpoint said:
Well given that the terrorist attacks killed approximately 50 people and the population of London is about 7.2 million, this would give a one in one hundred and forty-four thousand chance of being killed in the last attack. The chance of being killed in a car crash in any given year in the US is about one in seventeen thousand. Take your pick.
Exactly, you have to put these things into proportion.
Life is in general, just one big risk.

geno said:
Does anyone who ride the underground worry before they ride?
not just the ones that live in japan, but for others that live in other countries, does anyone think about it before they get on the system?
I know theres the message of dont let the terrorists win and instill terror, but you've got to worry haven't you?
I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. A first thought yes. Much the same way I always give a first thought when looking out the window of a plane from 35,000 ft up, "What if it crashes?" Then I go about reading my book or watching a movie.

In Japan earthquakes are a common threat, but that doesn't stop anyone from going about with their lives.

If one always worried about getting killed, one would never leave their house. Then they might just slip in the shower and die. As others have said above, when you are called, it's your time to go. It could be anywhere, anytime. Most people just don't worry about it.

I took 10 trains and 2 planes today and didn't give it a second thought.

Had a meeting today in Tokyo. Left my house in Northern Sapporo at 7.30 this morning and was back home by 6.30pm.

Can anyone beat that?

;-)

Back
Top Bottom