What's new

Saving humbacks to kill other whales

Rose Selavey

先輩
11 Dec 2007
A BACKROOM deal designed to restore Japan's right to commercial whaling is behind its decision to spare humpback whales from its Antarctic hunt.

Japan's Minister for Foreign Affairs, Masahiko Koumura, has detailed a bargain with the US chairman of the International Whaling Commission to "review" the contentious kill of humpbacks from Australian stocks.
Saving humpbacks to kill other whales

Has anyone else heard this?

Hump back from AUSTRALIAN stock? They are not Australian. I guess I should have known but Australia being rational in whaling is as absurd as in believeing Bush really wants to spread freedom in the MIddle East.

The current whale sanctuaries disregard accepted management methods for sustainable fisheries worldwide because they ignore ecological reality by providing protection to only one part of a multi-species ecosystem. It may be justifiable to set aside small areas of critical habitat where endangered whales breed, for example. However, setting aside large areas of ocean where fishing, shipping and other offshore developments occur, can never be justified on rational grounds. Such large-scale sanctuaries would interfere with the sustainable and beneficial use of marine resources, the use of which is provided for under international law. Such disregard for international law does not serve environmental interests, and it adversely affects international relations and the rights and cultures of whaling peoples.

Whales that are hunted for food are abundant, and species that are considered to be in need of protection, receive that protection through established international agreements.

http://www.worldwhalers.com/publications/media_pack.htm#front

A BACKROOM deal designed to restore Japan's right to commercial whaling is behind its decision to spare humpback whales from its Antarctic hunt.
Japan's Minister for Foreign Affairs, Masahiko Koumura, has detailed a bargain with the US chairman of the International Whaling Commission to "review" the contentious kill of humpbacks from Australian stocks.
Saving humpbacks to kill other whales
Has anyone else heard this?

Oh, no - I hadn't heard this. It's disheartening. But I think there's too much opposition to resuming worldwide commercial whaling.

Back
Top Bottom