What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

sapporo and hokkaido

stephan

後輩
Reaction score
Hello ppl

Next sunday(7 august) i will go to sapporo in hokkaido to visit my girlfriend

and i stay there for about a week

it will be my first travel to japan so as you understand i dont know what to expect from this strange and beautyfull country

and especialy from sapporo

so i will need advices from all of you about sapporo.......places i must go there..parks....stores...bars...restaurants...things i must do there....etc..

but not only for sapporo but for hokkaido also...........for example my girlfriend

told me about the shiretoko national park and how beautyfull is

anyway..........i hope to give me some tips about my travel there,because i think i will be lost there 😌

thanx in advance

RockLee

Hullu
Reaction score
hey man, I went there last Xmas, I can advise you to visit a store called "Coach&four" it's in Sapporo.I think your friend will know where to find that store, anyways you'll find a book(guide to Sapporo) called 'Sapporo Guidebook'

linky to the cover : NOVA 法人企業向けサービス【公式】ニーズに合わせた語学サービス

There are quite a lot of nice places like Sapporo Artpark (ナスD窶土ナ竹ツ術窶堙個森: Sapporo geijutsunomori)

their site : 北海道・札幌の芸術・美術館・展覧会|札幌芸術の森

also a nice place is Odori park, JR station with it's big shoppingmall :)

For aaaaalll kinds of glass you'll have to go to Otaru (ツ渉ャ窶儁), actually a must see !
site with some pictures of it : http://www.ne.jp/asahi/yume/dreams/main/Photo_hokkaido_otaru_days.htm

Jozankei is a nice place too, known for it's hotsprings ! You NEED to go there hehe :D

site : http://www2.snowman.ne.jp/~jozankei/

At night in Sapporo you might want to visit Susukino ;-) it's the big go-out place with also gaijingbars and tons of places for pachinko etc...nice photoshoots to make also ;-)

Sapporo beer garden, I didn't go there, but I heard it's nice to visit...wish I could go to Sapporo again soon :( but hey, can't have everything huh :p

You'll have to try Jingiskhan, it's a hokkaido dish made with lambmeat, soooo tasty ! And ofcourse try the oh so popular Arcades ;-) and make a picture with ur gf in those machines :D Girls dig that hehe 😊

Hope I could be of assistence !!! 🙂

skip

castalian
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Sapporo. It's really a beautiful place, I'm sure that you'll love it.

So, the city is really easy to get around in. It's based on a grid system with each block named something like "North 11 West 3" (Kita-11 Nishi-3 of course) (I used to live there until I moved :p). The subway is convenient, always on time, and easy to navigate (only 3 lines, so it's not like Tokyo's subway).

If you don't know any Japanese, remember Kita is North, Minami is South, Higashi is East and Nishi is West. It'll help with subway stops and addresses, although street signs are usually in kanji.

I'd rely on your girlfriend's advice on what to see and such. Advice on stores depends on what you want to buy. Sapporo Station has several major shopping areas and malls that sell nearly anything you'd want. Bic Camera (major electronics store) is immediately adjacent to the south-east. Yodobashi (the other major electronics store) is about 2 blocks west of the north entrance to Sapporo Station.

Most of the nightlife in Sapporo is in Susukino (take the subway, bike or walk). It's on the Nanboku (South-North) Subway Line, 2 stops south from Sapporo Station. There are -hundreds- of bars. Be careful of anything that seems to be sex-related, you probably won't be welcome there. Viva is my favorite ex-pat bar in Susukino, but it's really small and hard to find. In the other direction, there's nightlife around Kita-24, 3 stops north of Sapporo Station. It's usually cheaper than Susukino.

I don't know your age, but there are also a couple of student bars I like - Chitlin' Circuit Freaks Shot Bar (whoa - what a name) at Kita-17, Nishi 4 (small, hard to find) and Shooters' (a few blocks south and one east - sorry I don't know the exact address).

Have fun in Sapporo - it's a beautiful place and a beautiful time of year.

pipokun

先輩
Reaction score
Don't forget to eat Tokibi, grilled sweet corn, and Jyaga butter, boiled potatoes with butter, at the Odori Park, and outside beer restaurant there.

stephan

後輩
Reaction score
😄 what can i say except

a BIG thanks to all of you for the valuable help and your time

to give me all this info...................again a BIG thanks

and i wish you all a wonderfull and relaxed August

Arigatoo from my heart

PS: my age is 32yo and my style and my music is very downtempo...for any one who is intrested

btw i found this site for sapporo

http://www.sapporolife.com/index2.html

Silverpoint

後輩
Reaction score
stephan said:
Hello ppl
Next sunday(7 august) i will go to sapporo in hokkaido to visit my girlfriend

You're a lucky man. Welcome to the greatest city in Japan!

You've also timed things well. The beer festival is on for another 3 days after you arrive. I'd write off the first 3 days and allow an extra one for recovering. Maybe you could go out after that. ;-)

budd

先輩
Reaction score
some good info here!
needs to be recognized and archived for the next time somebody wants to ask questions about this area

Top Bottom