What's new

Sake for beginners

RebelNick25

Registered
13 Jan 2018
Hey every one I just signed up and am seeking some help , I am looking to try sake but I don't know what sake I should try since I am a beginner. Preference?

Start with what's cheap and available and work your way up from there. Do you have any Japanese markets around? What do they have on hand?

If not, an Asian market would still have a better selection than a regular store. Bevmo might have some options but I've never checked.

One tip: only cheap sake is warmed up. The good stuff is either chilled or served at room temperature, in my experience. Some of the best I had that I remember was from Dassai, but also know that like most spirits, there are different variations within the same brand and some will be much more expensive than others.
102061_1.jpg

I tried a few different sakes and didn't enjoy them and no Japanese markets around only a premium fine wine and good spirits store
Start with what's cheap and available and work your way up from there. Do you have any Japanese markets around? What do they have on hand?

If not, an Asian market would still have a better selection than a regular store. Bevmo might have some options but I've never checked.

One tip: only cheap sake is warmed up. The good stuff is either chilled or served at room temperature, in my experience. Some of the best I had that I remember was from Dassai, but also know that like most spirits, there are different variations within the same brand and some will be much more expensive than others.
102061_1.jpg

I tried a few different sakes and didn't enjoy them and no Japanese markets around only a premium fine wine and good spirits store
Do you remember what you tried? I'd keep track and occasionally try something new and see if your opinion changes or if you just hadn't hit on one you liked... no need to force it if you don't like it though. Honestly alcohol has altogether fallen out of my favor since I can't even have two drinks without a headache the next day. On the bright side, this saves me a lot of money.

Fun fact: the Japanese equivalent of "Different strokes for different folks" is 十人十色, juunin toiro, literally "ten people, ten colors"

Gekkeikan is probably the most common in the US however there are about five other common brands that you can get either locally or on the internet. Gekkeikan makes everything from $12 a bottle up to $50 or $60 and probably beyond. I think price matters but that is just my opinion. The quality and taste of the cheap stuff varies greatly even from bottle to bottle and tastes very different from the better stuff. Also, price not withstanding there are many different types of Sake including filtered, unfiltered, dry, draft ..... . If you can find it, try a bottle of Gekkeikan Horin ($30 to $40), or if you have lots of money try a Suehiro KEN ($100) . I prefer it chilled or even cold. Don't worry, if it is good sake it will warm you right up. One other little plus to Sake is that it will not give you a sulfide headache like many of the domestic wine do.

So far the ones I remembered trying is the tozai snow maiden, the fujiki plum and green teaflavors,l. So far the snow maiden isn't to bad just has a strong bite I'm looking for a mellow bite and sweetness

Back
Top Bottom