What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Sake appreciation thread

• Admin

JREF

JREF Editor
Contributor
Reaction score
The article Sake - Japanese Rice Wine has been updated:

Republished based on the Wikipedia entry and modified under Creative Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0).

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
After we have finally published our entry on Japanese sake, I'm glad to announce that we are about to open a review section for nihonshu. I have a long line of bottles, I mean, reviews in the pipeline; and I know that in @bentenmusume we have a veritable 日本酒 expert and aficionado on board. Watch this space for more updates. :)

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
This seems as good a time and place as any to make my triumphant(?) return. ;)

I've been taking a break from active forum posting for a few months to focus on work and family, but at least the former has begun to settle down a bit, so hopefully I can get back to contributing a bit from time to time.

Anyhow, while there are a few nits I'd pick with the article(*), overall it strikes me as a very solid introduction to the world of nihonshu. I'll try to do my part to flesh things out in the coming weeks/months, and I look forward to some interesting discussion with fellow sake aficionados here! 🍶

*::clears throat and steps atop soapbox:: For example, the contention that "most" sake "does not age well" and that "high-grade sake is not usually drunk hot", both of which seem to reflect a certain prejudice against jukusei-shu (aged sake) and kan-zake (heated sake) that, from my experience, is a somewhat narrow-minded perspective that ignores many incredible varieties of sake brewed with precisely that in mind. Also, the term "rice wine" in general, which has fallen out of popularity among sake enthusiasts and I would argue should be retired for good.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Great to see you back! And I should have reintroduced your as “connoisseur”, too. :)

As far as the article is concerned, there is definitely room for improvement. I wanted to publish it as soon as possible (it’s only taken me two years, lol), but I’ll be more than happy to include your suggestions.

Once I’m back from work tonight, I’ll set up the review section.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
Haha, yes, I prefer to think of myself as a connoisseur or aficionado rather than an "expert", since most of my sake knowledge comes from appreciating it myself and speaking with who do (rather than the impressive lists of official qualifications some people have), but leaving that aside, I'm always more than happy to talk sake and contribute what I can!

I'll take a closer look through the article when I have a bit more time and see if there's anything worth adding/tweaking/touching up/what-have-you. I certainly can't fault you for wanting to publish it ASAP after I kept you hanging for ten months(!) since we originally had this discussion. 🙇‍♂️

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
That's the university I will enrol at in my next life.

Students of the Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine showing off the sake they produced in brewery class.
ing
obihiro-university01.jpg

Shuntaro Sakai (22) and Mizuki Takayama (21), both fourth-graders, started to work on their sake project in May.

obihiro-university02.jpg

Aoun (碧雲) sake

Top Bottom