What's new

Saddam executed ( merged threads)

ArmandV

Eight Times To Japan
Contributor
18 Oct 2004
It is now being reported that Saddam Hussein will be executed tonight, 10:00 PM Eastern Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four hangings on Christmas Day (in Japan) and now one for New Year. Can't you just smell that seasonal goodwill? Civilization at its pinnacle.

I wonder how many secrets of the past, that he could have revealed if he were to live, will die with him.

Will the cameras be rolling? I imagine there are a lot of people who want to witness this.

Saddam Hussein executed

I just heard he has been executed now as that was planned to happen before 2007. I still don't think this should have been done and he had no fair trial whatsoever. For what he did he should have had a decent punishment and that's not the dead penalty (yes I'm against the dead penalty)
People have no right to judge over life and dead accordin' to me and if they would have imprisoned him for a long time or for life, then that would have done the job to.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting that they prosecuted him for gassing Kurds but not Iranians during the Iran/Iraq war. Maybe the powers that be didn't want to set a precedent with an international tribunal. Again hypocracy on the part of our fearless leaders who claim to hold others to international law and cry if others suggest it should be held up to them. And that's a consistant pattern with Democrats or Republicans, despite the US Constitution stating all treaties signed become "law of the land". They pull out the boogie man of low level soldiers being tried on political grounds, but fact of the matter is command responsibility has the greatest weight and most enlisted personal are decent human beings who wouldn't commit heinous crimes. And if they did, even fellow soldiers would be disgusted. Witness Donald Rumsfeld meeting with Hussein AFTER chemical weapons were used. Rumsfeld made no reference to chemical weapons, according to detailed notes on the meeting According to the National Security Archive on this topic. The US then continued to arm Iraq. When's his (and other officials') trial for aiding & abetting? These people basically have about zilch for honor.

I too am against the death penalty. Those with power fear losing power and that corrupts them (says Daw Aung San Suu Kyi). Perhaps that is the US gov't in thumbing their noses at international law? One world "super power" doing whatever it pleases to whomever it pleases. Yeah. Real honorable there. And the death penalty surely would be losing power.

I find it amusing the new Iraqi government bleeting with joy other his death, it seems they never observed the history of weak regimes held up by US support.

Spoiler: They have a habit of collapsing.

No doubt a few years down the road we'll be watching some random Iraqi faction putting the Us installed regime on kangaroo court show trial before being executed.

Dont get me wrong, I wont miss Saddam, but A) killing is bad, especially for vengence, B) it will solve nothing and C) the "Trial" made a Chinese court look fair, the total lack of Justice and proper fair trial was a sickening blemmish on the west and our apparent "Good Intentions" and also speaks poorly of the fledgling democracy" in Iraq, it essentially says that the new regime doesnt give a toss about justice and democracy at all.

Finally, saying stuff like "You ruined Iraq" before executing him and stuff is hardly somethnig to be smug about, more people have died under the chaos and anarchy of the new iraq then under Saddams tyranical order.

Some thnigs are worse then dictators, like uncontrollable spiralling violence.

Also I just dont believe in the death penalty, I dont believe in hell so he has basically escape justice, he would have suffered more by rotting in the prisons he created, the lucky victims of his got to die quickly.

It isn't going to solve any problems out there. Nobody really cared enough about him to either stop what they are doing or to start some other violence, His removal caused a stable country in the middle east to become a virtual state of anarchy. You might not have liked his methods, but the country wasn't in the state of chaos it is in now. I agree with Nuri, in a few years time there is a strong chance of the puppet US friendly government collapsing and radical anti-west one coming in. The US doesn't really have a good record of supporting sucessful puppet governments.

Last edited:
It's more about trying to keep a good taste in diction when talking about someone that was executed and now is dead (no matter who he/she was).

It's more about trying to keep a good taste in diction when talking about someone that was executed and now is dead (no matter who he/she was).

Since it was posted before the execution, your reasoning is not justified.

Since you're not American, you wouldn't know the terms used are common in American lexicon.

Problem solved, cross removed before it goes any further.
On Saddam. It isn't going to solve any problems out there. Nobody really cared enough about him to either stop what they are doing or to start some other violence, His removal caused a stable country in the middle east to become a virtual state of anarchy. You might not have liked his methods, but the country wasn't in the state of chaos it is in now.
Of course Saddam's reign as one of greatest dictators of modern times wasn't exactly a stable solution to these non-US created internal ethnic and religious divisions either. Wasn't it actually the British that forcibily united Iraq through occupation and redrawn borders after WWI ? It is not hard to imagine a scenario of overwhelming US force in which the insurgent violence was nipped early and bloodshed largely avoided...but at any rate, in the end eventually the Iraqi people were going to be forced to take a greater measure of responsiblity for their future upon themselves.

Even now, one concern of the US is that the national army and security forces seem most comfortable in a dependent, subserviant relationship and are disinclined to make the hard political bargains towards national unity. So, yes the situation is horrific but that isn't to say of course the US is entirely to blame or that it wouldn't have occured when Saddam was gone or under any other circumstance. ☝

Since it was posted before the execution, your reasoning is not justified.
Since you're not American, you wouldn't know the terms used are common in American lexicon.

Saying someone is going to meet the hangman about somebody that is going to get hanged doesnt seem so proper 2 me.

I went to an American high school and Uni so I am pretty familiar with the majority of terms and nuances and it still didn't right to me.

Saying someone is going to meet the hangman about somebody that is going to get hanged doesnt seem so proper 2 me.
I went to an American high school and Uni so I am pretty familiar with the majority of terms and nuances and it still didn't right to me.

Then you're overly sensitive.

Of course Saddam's reign as one of greatest dictators of modern times wasn't exactly a stable solution to these non-US created internal ethnic and religious divisions either. Wasn't it actually the British that forcibily united Iraq through occupation and redrawn borders after WWI ?
I know the British are also responsible for a lot of the mess in the Middle East due to redrawn borders and new countries being created.
I wouldn't call Saddam one of the greatest Dictators of modern times. There have been a lot worse. I also remember him being a "good" guy for the US Government during the Iran-Iraq war. How policies change when oil and money are thrown into the mix. He got into the bad books by not being a "tame" dictator and actually speaking out against the US.
Should have let him rot in a jail for the rest of his life. He would have died old and forgotten. I think it would have been more a justified punishment for an egotist like him.

I agree. For something there's never been a row about before you need a better justification than personal preference. For pete's sake, there are tons of childrens games with "Hangman" in the title -- Meet the Hangman could literally be one of them in fact. :rolleyes:

That kind of thinking leads to executing someone 1 day before new year and so shortly after christmas....and by hanging.... ***,

That's just f***ing macabre

I though the whole deal in Iraq was done to bring some values and democracy...this is a great way of showing progress,,, it's just sickening to see stuff like this happen. Funny, there were 2 threads about this and you were the only one with a referall to hangman...the context you put it in made it sound so displesant. Remember this is an international audience, you are not just talking to americans here. Some people, like me, may have gotten the wrong image or idea or sensation so I just tried to make it a bit more sensible since we are talking about someone loosing his life, lets remember that.

I agree. For something there's never been a row about before you need a better justification than personal preference. For pete's sake, there are tons of childrens games with "Hangman" in the title -- Meet the Hangman could literally be one of them in fact. :rolleyes:

Again,,,this is a global audience, some people may be put off by the context.

Is funny you guys are so chilled about an executions, just like going shopping or smth,,, i guess is just a matter of getting used 2 it, eh ?

That kind of thinking leads to executing someone 1 day before new year and so shortly after christmas....and by hanging.... ***,
That's just f***ing macabre
I though the whole deal in Iraq was done to bring some values and democracy...this is a great way of showing progress,,, it's just sickening to see stuff like this happen. Funny, there were 2 threads about this and you were the only one with a referall to hangman...the context you put it in made it sound so displesant. Remember this is an international audience, you are not just talking to americans here. Some people, like me, may have gotten the wrong image or idea or sensation so I just tried to make it a bit more sensible since we are talking about someone loosing his life, lets remember that.

Only that someone was a tyrant and tortured and slaughtered thousands of people. Let's also remember that.

This is a macabre world, get used to it. Do you think it would be "progress" to have him "rot in jail" on the public's dime? Do you think Saddam ever had Christmas, Kwaanza, Golden Week, Hanukkah or any other religion's holiday in mind when he did his deeds? The Iraqui people suffered under his regime and they deserved justice, and justice was served. You may not like it, but that's their business.

"Hangman" is the term for the executioner when the method used is hanging. Look it up in your encyclopedia or dictionary. Sorry, but I don't use mealy-mouth terms.

Is funny you guys are so chilled about an executions, just like going shopping or smth,,, i guess is just a matter of getting used 2 it, eh ?

Who said we're "chilled" (or do you mean thrilled?) about executions? I wish they weren't necessary, but sometimes they are. I take no glee over Saddam's execution, but he had it coming to him.

Last edited:
The term itself is technically neutral and could as accurately be applied by voices on either side of the debate. Does publishing pictures of the rope and noose by every news organization in the world likewise signal support for that as a method of execution ?

All of which begs the question of how many complaints were actually registered at this site....😊

the death penalty, real civilized huh?
talk about a walk back to the stone age of brute force and vengence from arrogance.

something like 98% of all executions are from about 4 countries,
China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and the US.
The rest of the world must be, in the words of American junior high-ness: "wussies"

Hussein was old and going to die soon anyway,
so why invade to remove him? To ensure a compliant regime.
Mycernius is right.
Hussein was a dictator that got out of line.
Same thing happened to Panama's Manuel Noriega back before the first gulf war. There was no basis in international law to invade to remove him. The result was a bunch of poor neighborhoods and innocents got demolished without so much as an appology or even compensation. Then there were a number of US soldiers who committed suicide over it but was covered up basically covered up, referred to as "the bases incidents". ive heard through word of mouth from a soldier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom