What's new

Russia's war in Ukraine

I said I'd post any pro-Ukraine events in Tokyo that I heard of. There's one in Shinjuku this afternoon.

Attachments

• demo.jpg
    demo.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 93
Hi, mdchachi

Let me have a joke with the flaming comment that the Russian friend wrote!

Didn't she speak about the social media that Mr. Trump established after his account was blocked on the Facebook LOL

Aside from the Ukraine subject; I'm curious to know, could Mr. trump's social media get a ratting among the known social media in the United States?

I hope it will help but I don't think many people will be swayed by it. I've been arguing with a Putin supporter in my Russian friend's FB comments. I posted that video and this was her response.

It's very similar to talking to Trump supporters. They are so divorced from reality nothing will get through to them.

She seems to have graduated from the St. Peterburg troll factory. I doubt that her words reflect how most Russians view things.

She seems to have graduated from the St. Peterburg troll factory. I doubt that her words reflect how most Russians view things.
That's the sad part though. I bet many more Russians feel this way than you can imagine. Probably even a majority. Once they are embedded in a world view, not much can shake it. Especially those who are not media savvy and only imbibe what the government controlled media feeds them. This person has access to all the world's media yet she chooses to believe the Putin point of view. And that all these videos of civilian attacks are faked or, if not, ultimately caused by Ukraine, NATO or America's actions.

If you disregard the Hollywood pathos and his accent, I must say this was a brilliant speech. I wonder how many Russians will see (and share) it.

Here's the response and why the average Russian believes this war is justified. Turns out it's all America's fault! If somebody can find a good response to this response it would be helpful. I think there are lots of truths in here but I also think "two wrongs don't make a right." That is, starting a large scale war and killing a lot more people in order to rectify any societal wrongs is not the solution. And this is just a smokescreen to hide Putin's true intentions. Human rights are not his forte.

Here's the response and why the average Russian believes this war is justified. Turns out it's all America's fault! If somebody can find a good response to this response it would be helpful. I think there are lots of truths in here but I also think "two wrongs don't make a right." That is, starting a large scale war and killing a lot more people in order to rectify any societal wrongs is not the solution. And this is just a smokescreen to hide Putin's true intentions. Human rights are not his forte.

I agree this is nothing even slightly to do with human rights, that is what he uses to sell it to the populous. I am afraid the US also has many times hurt the population of other countries via agression that is true including the Afghanistan conflict he mentioned. Two wrongs don't make a right is a good response. Yes the US not he "he who is without sin" for sure.

Last edited:
While I doubt it was a reason the government used to invade another thing that Ukraine did that would bother your average Russian person is sort of attack their language. This can help get popular support for the war from regular people, notice the article was from January this year New Language Requirement Raises Concerns in Ukraine
Aticle 25, regarding print media outlets, makes exceptions for certain minority languages, English, and official EU languages, but not for Russian. Ukrainian authorities justify this by referring to the country's European ambitions and "the century of oppression of … Ukrainian in favor of Russian.""historical oppression of Ukrainian ... may lead to the adoption of positive measures aimed at promoting Ukrainian, but this cannot justify depriving the Russian language and its speakers of the protection granted to other languages…"

Found on twitter:

I am the very model of a Russian Major General
My standing in the battlefield is growing quite untenable
My forces, though equipped and given orders unequivocal
Did not expect the fight to be remotely this reciprocal

I used to have a tank brigade but now I have lost several
My fresh assaults are faltering with battleplans extemporal
I can't recover vehicles but farmers in a tractor can
It's all becoming rather reminiscent of Afghanistan

My ordnance is the best but only half my missiles make it there
I would have thought by now that we would be controllers of the air
But at the rate the snipers work my time here is ephemeral
I am the very model of a Russian Major General

Japanese government sources today confirmed the first Japanese casualty in Ukraine.

A Japanese man in his 20s who volunteered to fight for Ukraine against Russia died on Nov. 9, the first Japanese fatality in the war, government sources confirmed Nov. 11. But there was little other information provided, such as the name of the man and how and where he died. Government officials were in contact with his family members in Japan, the sources said. On Nov. 10, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said the government was aware of social media reports about a Japanese man being killed in Ukraine and said the Japanese Embassy in the country was trying to confirm the details.

Zelenasky wants to accuses Russia in any way. He launched a Russian missile into one of the areas of Poland and then claimed, it was Russia that fired the missile!

The old missile was relative to the Soviet era that remained in one of the Ukraine arsenals.

Thus, Zelenasky wanted to show Russian government is a militant and unrest regime and tries to invade other neighbors!

Of course, I don't think it could be the start point of conflict between NATO and Russia, because I think, it was informed about the Zelenasky's rocket fire, before ;)

Last edited:
You do realize Ukraine is NOT a Democratic country, but a Dictator run country. There is NO free press in Ukraine.

You do realise that Ukraine is currently under attack and under martial law? Pres. Zelenskyy was elected president in an election considered free and fair by international and domestic observers, including the US Department of State.

Before Russia started the war, the country had a good track record of democratisation and anti-corruption measures under Zelenskyy.

According to The Economist's 2021 "Democracy Index", Ukraine is a "Hybrid Regime".

The Economist distinguishes four categories:
  1. FullyDemocratic: UK, Japan, Germany, Canada, Australia, ...
  2. Flawed Democracy: USA, France, Singapore, India, Brazil, ...
  3. Hybrid Regime: Hong Kong, Ukraine, Turkey, Pakistan, ...
  4. Authoritarian: Russia, China, Iraq, Egypt, Venezuela, ...

Once this war is over, Ukraine will still have a long and winding road to full democracy. Here's hoping for the best. Ukraine's neighbours Belarus and Russia will find themselves on an even bumpier road, but I wish them the best, too.

Before the war started , Ukraine had a horrible reputation of being super corrupt with US politicians(Hunter Biden & family for instance) using Ukraine to launder their ill gotten gains. I consider Russia an enemy , but the Ukraine deal brings back memories of the Cuban Crisis when we didn't want Russia to have a base and nukes so close to the US and were willing to go to war over it. If Russia thought Ukraine was about to join NATO and place enemy forces on their doorstep , I can see why they would take action. Seems Putin planned poorly on how the world would react to his attack and how his military would preform. Seems certain that the way the fighting is going , all wars in the future will use info from this war to get ready for the next wars. Seems there has been a lot of computer hacking in this war and the fact ground forces like tanks can be taken out by one guy with a drone or shoulder fired weapon. Seems Taiwan and forces that will protect it from China have done major changes to their defence plans based on what they see in Ukraine. I get the feeling the next big war(WWIII) will have a Pearl Harbor type attack on everyone's satellites to start it off which will wipe out all cell phones and TV media along with military use sats. Hope I'm not around to see that one go down. As usual , everything you hear has to be taken with the idea it's fake news or plain old propaganda to stir emotions of hate and not the truth. Just my humble opinion on things from a clueless guy.

Hello, senior Frank

I don't think WWIII will happen. There is no sign of such destructive war.

If Russia takes Ukraine back to its territory or gives it up independence, with a new and reformed government, it is not important in compression with a war that its result is the destruction of the earth and death of millions of people because of the war itself or consequent hunger and thirst.

I believe the USA and Europe must reconsider their interference in Ukraine to send weapons for Zelenskyy. It can take the world one step closer to war. Zelenskyy is a madman and has not a steady and wise policy, and the west must not follow his emotional and spiteful desires.

I also believe the USA must leave Taiwan alone because China thinks of Taiwan the same Russia think of Ukraine.

Having a good deal with these two world powers is the best decision instead of showing the adversary and provoking them to confront.

Two weeks ago, the Israeli regime decided to send some anti-aircraft missiles for Zelenskyy. Russia warned Israelis hardly to sit on their seats and don't have weaponry activity in Ukraine, and if not, they encounter a severe reaction from Russia! After the warning, Israelis were scared and withdrew from their position.

I promise if Russia and China don't feel danger about their security, armies, and people, a war between the west and Russia or China will never happen.

1. Flawed Democracy: USA, France, Singapore, India, Brazil, ...
The US is not a straight democracy and has never been so. Its thrown around a lot as being so but in reality the US is a "constitutional federal republic", even as documented by the CIA world factbook. There are aspects of a democracy and of a republic and of course we have the constitution as the cornerstone/basis of our laws. That being said, I think most places that are considered a democracy are in reality a mix of different types of government. A straight democracy would probably be a bad thing, as the largest group of people for or against something would always get their way. This is sometimes referred to as "The tyranny of the majority", in which less represented groups are always at a disadvantage.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread, but I thought that as democracy was being discussed it would be worth pointing out that most countries claiming democracy aren't actually a pure democracy.

Hello, senior Frank

I don't think WWIII will happen. There is no sign of such destructive war.

If Russia takes Ukraine back to its territory or gives it up independence, with a new and reformed government, it is not important in compression with a war that its result is the destruction of the earth and death of millions of people because of the war itself or consequent hunger and thirst.

I believe the USA and Europe must reconsider their interference in Ukraine to send weapons for Zelenskyy. It can take the world one step closer to war. Zelenskyy is a madman and has not a steady and wise policy, and the west must not follow his emotional and spiteful desires.

I also believe the USA must leave Taiwan alone because China thinks of Taiwan the same Russia think of Ukraine.

Having a good deal with these two world powers is the best decision instead of showing the adversary and provoking them to confront.

Two weeks ago, the Israeli regime decided to send some anti-aircraft missiles for Zelenskyy. Russia warned Israelis hardly to sit on their seats and don't have weaponry activity in Ukraine, and if not, they encounter a severe reaction from Russia! After the warning, Israelis were scared and withdrew from their position.

I promise if Russia and China don't feel danger about their security, armies, and people, a war between the west and Russia or China will never happen.

And if everyone sits by and lets one sovereign state take over another how long before another state is on the list of places to take over? If someone does not believe there will be any consequences to their actions, why would they ever stop and consider instead of just doing what they please?

:) Hello, petaris

Respectfully, I can't opine overtly due to a reason but only point out; Ukraine is different from other lands such as Poland or Finland for Russia. Russia considers Ukraine as a part of its body.

Second, I think NATO should answer the question that it was creeping into Ukraine, unaware of the giant white bear that was careful about its boundary

Nice to have a thread that keeps active with so many opinions and different ways to look at something. I feel a bit brain washed by what my government and media tell me is their truth , so it's nice to see different ideas about what's going on. So far , unlike Facebook posts and comments , we are pretty polite and laid back here which is nice. Facebook posts remind me of brutal bloody cage fights with no holds barred , LOL.

:) Hello, petaris

Respectfully, I can't opine overtly due to a reason but only point out; Ukraine is different from other lands such as Poland or Finland for Russia. Russia considers Ukraine as a part of its body.

Second, I think NATO should answer the question that it was creeping into Ukraine, unaware of the giant white bear that was careful about its boundary
If Turkey considered Iran as part of its body would that be OK as well? All part of the Persian Empire once upon a time, so its OK because they used to be together right? Even if that is no longer the case?

I think, Russia cited historical and nationality commonalities in the past centuries, especially that a notable part of people of Ukraine are Russian, or maybe all the Ukrainians had been Russian previously.

As I told, Ukraine is different from other lands for Russia

Moreover, it is not obvious that Russia wants to attach Ukraine to Russia. Probably its purpose is to repels Zelenskyy and his party (due to cooperation with NATO) and reforms the Ukrainian government and organizations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom