What's new

Rurouni Kenshin

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Today i finnished 22 dvd of the serie, and the 3 movies after 1.5 month time.

and i most say, the story really impressed me, i almost cry at the last movie.
more then 30 hours of kenshin i watched. and now, its over.

my compliments for the writers of the story and especialy for the making of the kenshin character, his deep wounds, his battle against his past, and his promise to dont kill.

just i didnt know the voice of kenshin is from a woman 👍

i havnt seen much anime yet, just dragonball/berserk/cowboy bebop/ and trigun. but for sure KENSHIN RULES..

what you guys think of kenshin, and the characters around him... ??

Hmm..i have watched the series for several times. I haven't watched the movies. It's cute to see Kenshin doing the laundry.haha...Oro....

dutch baka said:
just i didnt know the voice of kenshin is from a woman 👍

Yes, and so is Naruto (which I recommend if you don't know it yet).

The only thing I didn't like so much in Rurouni Kenshin were the repetitive music and Kenshin's indecision with Kaoru (the end feels rather sad, as if they just going to have a very ordinary life after all these adventures). Otherwise great anime ! 👍

I didn't realy feel that the series was too good, nothing special. But the OVAs are incredible, I love Trust & Betrayal and Reflection. They both have something special, especially Trust & Betrayal.

I thought that the Kyoto-hen was the series, and for me it still is. I enjoy long storylines in series, and the forty or so episodes from around 22 to the end of the Shishio Makoto storyline is outstanding. I just wish the rest of the series was up to its caliber. I've watched those episodes quite a few times, but the rest of the series I've only seen once.

I didn't know for sure that Kenshin's voice was done by a woman, but I'm not at all surprised to find out that it was. I thought the only reason they used women for men's voices in anime was due to tenure, like Goku's voice being done by a woman because when the series started he was a child. I wonder why they went with a woman this time.

Last edited:
Kenshin's seiyuu is Suzukaze Mayo (real name:Morinaga Kaname). She did the voices of Kenshin for the TV series as well as the 2nd OVA. I guess they picked a woman to voice Kenshin because of his innate calm and gentle nature, a striking contrast to his violent life...

Baiken in Guilty Gear has the same voice actress and I can say that Kenshin and Baiken are abit alike.
baiken12-1.jpg

Nice series.

Well... The series is a nice thing to watch. Kinda like an animated version of one of those samurai T.V. series.

Personally, one of my favourite scenes in the series is when they do the usual day to day routines and not one of those battle scenes. And yes, Kenshin doing the laundry is one of the nicest things in the series. I think that they included scenes like that to attract more people to the series, I doubt that these same people would be interested in the O.V.A. of Rurouni Kenshin.

Though the series is kinda a historical revisionist propaganda with its potraying of the Tokugawa government and the Meiji government, along with the politics associated with them. One thing that I acknowledge is correct about the series message is that, it is BAD to change the government and that it's better to live as an ordinary person than a skilled warrior, Kenshin already got a painful lesson on that.

Kenshin's oath on not to kill again is a little bit misguided though because of he was too affraid to turn into a killing machine again, he should have just aim on incapacitating the enemy instead of focusing of not to kill the enemy.

As for "a very ordinary life after all these adventures".

Wasn't that Kenshin's goal? All he want is a nice place to live an ordinary life, especially after all of those mistakes he did in the oast.

As for Kenshin and Kaoru.

Well... Their relationship is going nowhere. Not necessary a bad thing, nor a good thing too.

The only thing certain is that they're now a family, along with Yahiko, Sanasuke, Megumi and so on.

By the way, how old is Kaoru anyway? Was she in her early 20s's? Or was it in her late teens?

I know that Kenshin was in his late 20's (29 years old?), since he was around 14 years old or so when he joined the fight against the Tokugawa government, fight for around 5 years, and then spent around 10 years in seclusion.

As for Kenshin's voice.

Well... He has a... well.. satoshi voice.

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dosearch?sDict=on&H=PS&L=J&T=satoshi&WC=none

Quite polite and comforting.

And yes, it probably as mirror image to his violent past and a representation his attempt to live a quiet and nice life in the present.

Or maybe it's also to represent that Shinta... er, I mean Kenshin is actually just a nice guy, who got involved in a nasty business in the past because of his foolishness (he after all, want to change the government).

Then again, with sometimes the colour of his outfit kinda miscoloured as pink, one might wonder if there's another reason on why his relationship with Kaoru is going nowhere.

As for women voicing for men.

Well... Some bishounen animated characters are voiced by women. It just depends on what kind of voice you want.

Rurouni Kenshin is the best comicbook (to me a comicbook and a manga is the same thing :) ) I have ever read. This manga is the main reason why I am still drawing comicbooks for a living now. I think that Watsuki Nobuhiro did an amazing job in portraying a human story inside a very interesting period of Japanese history, while at the same time he showed us what it makes to do an interesting story: It has funny moments, fights, "real life" characters and above all, it deals with a subject that is not often touched in comicbooks: Trying to redeem your sins while working the same path.

Like I said before, this comicbook helped me whe I was about to quit working as a cartoonist, but I read the tankbouton # 14 and suddenly I started to realize what my own path was.

Well, I don't know if this qualifies as a spoiler since Rurouni was made 1996. so here goes...

Kenshin and Kaoru did end up together. They had a son, Kenji (I think). This was not part of the 90++episode series but in the 2nd OVA, I think.

omg you people make me want to go jump of a bridge.....there are no kenshin movies...just ova's!!!!(with 4 epps of ova's)!!!and kenshin isnt a comic book...its a MANGA!!!!!ahhhh...(also gons voice from HUNTER X HUNTER is a female,the same actress as narutos voice as a matter of fact.)HunterXHunter kicks so much A$$!!!!so does kenshin!!!!ahhh im hyper!!!!(stupid chocolate)

and naruto is good....only thing is is that it is way to damn long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!126 epps...no end in site....(although i think naruto will die in the end)just like kenshin!!!!!
its so sad in the second ova how in the end kenshin dies in kaoru's arms.....and how he gives her his sickness.....so sad mad me want to cry(in fact i might of,cant remember)....i really need to calm the F*** down.......AHHHHH

antaBAKA said:
omg you people make me want to go jump of a bridge.....there are no kenshin movies...just ova's!!!!(with 4 epps of ova's)!!!and kenshin isnt a comic book...its a MANGA!!!!!ahhhh...(also gons voice from HUNTER X HUNTER is a female,the same actress as narutos voice as a matter of fact.)HunterXHunter kicks so much A$$!!!!so does kenshin!!!!ahhh im hyper!!!!(stupid chocolate)

Well im sorry, this was just my 5th Anime ( do i say good? 😌 ), so i never heard about OVA'S before......

maby you are the smart guy up here, that know this kind of things soo good, geuss you knew it when you where born.... ( mmm sorry to be rude,,, but watch out when you jump.... geuss 2 meter below you is some water...)

arigato sensei

antaBAKA said:
sry im just hyper now.......ahhhhhh(and i dont get how you wer rude...)

thats okay,, just you should know not everybody know everything yet,, instead of giving this kind of critisise (sorry bad english) , explain what OVA's are then...

greetings baka dutch

Back
Top Bottom