What's new

Running an Eikaiwa without Japanese staff

TheJohnny

Registered
24 Jul 2014
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with teaching privately, either in one's own school or as a home/office tutor, without the assistance of a Japanese staff member? It looks like I will be finding myself in such a position relatively soon.

To give some background to the situation:
- I have a Japanese wife who is willing to help when not busy with her own job or our two children
- I have passed the JLPT N2
- I have lived in the area where I will be teaching for about 7 years and have a number of local Japanese contacts

This is something I am committed to doing so I would very much appreciate anyone's advice and insights.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Johnny, you should contact [MENTION=858]Iron Chef[/MENTION].

Ask away! Or if you prefer you can contact me via pm. I will be happy to help answer any questions if I am able. Cheers.

Hello Iron Chef,

Do you have any experience (or know anyone who does) running an Eikaiwa without Japanese staff? I do intend to hire someone part time down the road but don't have the budget to do so currently.

My main concerns are:

1 first impressions as many a local may feel uneasy dealing strictly with a foreigner, unless they are a personal referral. the

2 dealing with "monster parents" (if there are any) as diplomatically as possible for the sake of my and my school's reputation

3 simultaneously running classes and doing administrative work while somehow managing to maintain a life outside of work

4 there may be more but these seem to be most prominent in my mind

please feel free to address these or anything else you may want to add. That goes for any other viewers as well. :)

Best.

Any time you run a business, especially a service business and doubly especially a service business which relies on your personal specialized skill set, 3 is going to be a significant problem.

If it's not a problem then there's a bigger problem in that the business isn't successful.

Back
Top Bottom