What's new

Resurrection Rune - Suikoden II

ZodiacSword

Registered
11 Mar 2016
I'm working on a project based on the popular classic JRPG Genso Suikoden II, and I am trying to decipher the symbols that appear when using the Resurrection Rune's "Life Magic". I have attached a file that is a compilation of the symbols that appear. I understand that the motif is one representing Longevity, but as to the meanings of the characters I haven't a clue. I was hoping someone fluent in reading Japanese Kanji may know their meanings, assuming that these are in fact Kanji.

Attachments

• Resurrection Runes copy.png
    Resurrection Runes copy.png
    653.5 KB · Views: 281
Some of them represent a direction (乾 northwest), Earthly Branches (乙) or Celestial stem (卯), and some seem to be very stylized kanji; 南 (south), 北 (north), 江 (river) or 秋(autumn), but those would be used just for a specious appearance.

Thank you! That is a much better lead than what I had found bumbling through sheets of kanji online. The design and some of these meaning would make me think that this is connected to Taoism. The whole world in this story is based on the Chinese tarot; this would correspond with "The Heavenly Master" or Chang Tao Ling, the first great teacher of Taoism.

Isn't Feng Shui very closely linked to Taoism? It even says so in the link you posted. The Yin-Yang would also be the most iconic symbol of Taoism, yes? I see them all as connected. Your help has been invaluable to my progress; I don't mean to be contrary. I've uploaded another sample from the project. It follows the same basic pattern as the Wu Xing you left a link to. I'm deeply grateful for your help. I think you've cracked it. It makes a lot of sense now. I couldn't figure anything out using reverse image searches and flipping through sheets of kanji.

Attachments

• Sovereign Rune.jpg
    Sovereign Rune.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 444
I'm sure you're right. It gives me the evidence I need to classify this rune under "The Heavenly Master" and not "Life and Death" as one may assume simply from it's function. The World of the 27 True Runes is based on the 22 major arcana and the 5 elements. Your links are very helpful. Several Hexagrams related to Feng Shui, Taoism, and Confucianism are seen throughout the series. I can see it in a different light now. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom