What's new

Requesting Help Translating Kanji

coral99

後輩
16 Jun 2014
Hello,

I would like to request help translating the kanji on this saya for a Japanese sword. I think the first set of kanji are a name but I can not translate. I think the second set are a date, either starting with Ko-o or Kei-o (I am not sure which). I am trying to turn the kanji into romaji and their translation to English. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Attachments

• Saya.jpg
    Saya.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 97
於東都清人作之慶應二丙寅年二月日
Oite Tōto Kiyondo saku kore Keiō Ni Hinoe Tora Nen Ni Gatsu Jitsu

I'm not 100% confident of the first kanji, because it looks like te-hen, but usually you would see 於 at the top of a sayagaki. Tōto refers to Tokyo. Kiyondo is the smith. The date is February, 1866 (Keiō 2).

Maybe surplus to your requirements, but Kiyondo is a fairly big name in the sword world. You can find a little bit about him here. Appraisal Quiz : #282 | Japanese Sword Shop Aoi-Art.
Are you looking to buy this sword? Be very, very careful of fakes. Be careful that the saya (which may or may be authentic) isn't holding a crap sword. If it is authentic and in good condition, it should be worth a fairly good amount of cash.

Back
Top Bottom