What's new

Requesting Help Translating Kanji

coral99

後輩
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to request help translating the kanji on this saya for a Japanese sword. I think the first set of kanji are a name but I can not translate. I think the second set are a date, either starting with Ko-o or Kei-o (I am not sure which). I am trying to turn the kanji into romaji and their translation to English. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Attachments

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
於東都清人作之慶應二丙寅年二月日
Oite Tōto Kiyondo saku kore Keiō Ni Hinoe Tora Nen Ni Gatsu Jitsu

I'm not 100% confident of the first kanji, because it looks like te-hen, but usually you would see 於 at the top of a sayagaki. Tōto refers to Tokyo. Kiyondo is the smith. The date is February, 1866 (Keiō 2).

Maybe surplus to your requirements, but Kiyondo is a fairly big name in the sword world. You can find a little bit about him here. Appraisal Quiz : #282 | Japanese Sword Shop Aoi-Art.
Are you looking to buy this sword? Be very, very careful of fakes. Be careful that the saya (which may or may be authentic) isn't holding a crap sword. If it is authentic and in good condition, it should be worth a fairly good amount of cash.