What's new

Relative clauses

charusu

先輩
23 Feb 2011
友達こんばんは、

I have been studying relative clauses, and I have a few questions. First of all, would someone mind commenting as to the grammatical correctness of the following sentences?

彼はあなたが愛する女を見ました。(He saw the woman that you love.)

私はサラさんが炊いた天ぷらを食べました。(I ate the tempura that Sarah cooked.)

これは彼女が言ったことです。(That's what[/the thing that] she said.) [The Michael Scott quote of quotes, and the lame american expression.]

I realize that the third sentence is not something one would expect to hear. The relative clauses, or what I think are the relative clauses, are in blue above. A) Are these indeed relative clauses? I ask because in examples I only see relative clauses at the beginning of sentences, but I can't think of how else to say these sentences. B) Are the phrases in blue just phrases acting as adjectives, if so, what separates this usage from a relative clause?

Thank you very much!

There is no distinction in Japanese between adjectival clauses and relative clauses (also no distinction between restrictive and non-restrictive relative clauses), although really I guess all a relative clause is in the first place is an adjectival clause. Anyway...

They are all grammatically correct. The last one is "this is what she said," though. それが彼女が言ったことだ would be "that's what she said," most likely devoid of all of the overtones present in the English expression.

Ah yes, I did mean それ, yeah I wouldn't expect that phrase to have any of the same connotations, just a test of my grammar. Thanks Glenn!!!

Small point that has nothing to do with grammar:
天ぷら is always something one 揚げる (deep-fry), 炊く can be used mainly for ごはん
(cooked rice) and less commonly for 煮物 (Japanese style stew) but never for 天ぷら.

Thanks, I was tripped-up looking for the verb "to cook" - is there a generic "to cook" verb that is not dependent on the method of cooking?

料理する
調理する

You'll find the former of greater use.

I thought 料理する was the actual baking/cooking/roasting/etc. of the food, whereas 調理する was more the prep work, like cutting/slicing/dicing/cleaning/etc. Or is there overlap?

Yes, 料理する and 調理する are overlapping, 料理する would be more commonly used, though.

Generally, 作る is used for the name of dishes, and 料理する/調理する is for the name of ingredients. But you always need to use 炊く for ご飯 as rice instead of 作る, since ご飯を作る means "to cook/make dinner".

味噌汁を作る
すき焼きを作る

豚肉を料理する
魚を調理する

ご飯を炊く

Back
Top Bottom