What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Regrading Study and Career in Japan

Anika

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Nice to meet you.

I'm planning on studying my post grad in Japan and if possible, have some work experience too. But I don't know if the subject that I'm going to do masters on (MDS - Masters in Development Studies) will help getting good jobs there or not. My undergrad major is different so I don't have much knowledge regarding the jobs this subject offers either. All I know is it is development related and the jobs are also from NGOs and mostly from non profit organizations.

Do you think it'll help me to have a good career in Japan??

I've never been to Japan before but I'm really interested in the country so I've decided to study there.

If it is the wrong place to ask such questions, please let me know where I can find help from.

All of your cooperation will be highly appreciated (*^_^*)

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
Tons of info out there that you should look into before taking the plunge. You seem really uncertain about what to do, and that could be dangerous. Also, how's your Japanese (reading, writing, speaking)? Want to stay here, and you'll need it.
List of Japanese NGO Websites
http://www.csun.edu/~kh246690/civil_society_ch1.pdf
NGO's (Non-Governmental Organizations) in Japan | Japan
http://www.odihpn.org/humanitarian-.../ngos-as-political-actors-a-japanese-approach
http://www.jica.go.jp/english/publications/jica_archive/brochures/2008/pdf/ngo_dis.pdf
FAQ | JICA

Anika

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Glenski. Thank you for the information. I checked out all the links. It seems that Japanese NGOs mainly work outside Japan since Japan is already a developed country.
What I wanted to know was if foreigners can work in such fields in Japan or not.
And yes I agree. Right now I'm suffering from indecision ><
I know its' always tough for a foreigner to find good jobs in Japan but I want to know how hard it is for a development study major.

Right now my Japanese is at N5 level (reading, speaking and writing). Still learning. I love studying Japanese :)

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
It sounds like you don't even know anything about the major you plan on studying. Perhaps you should consider a major that will lead to something you know about and/or would like to do.

Anika

Registered
Reaction score
My undergrad major was different. Thats why I cant say much about this major. Actually one of my faculties encouraged me so I've been thinking. Still searching on this subject and since I want to have some work experience from Japan, I wanted to know if I could work there if I study on this field.
Thanks for your advice ^^

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
Just reading those links is the start. Have you tried contacting people on them? Ask what the requirements are for jobs and what type of jobs there are (if the links don't already say that). Also look into The Japan Times online classifieds and daijob.com or Career Cross (but expect high levels of Japanese at that site). I have a JICA office in my city, and there are darned few foreigners there. Have taught training courses for them myself, but that was when they asked help from my university.

Top Bottom