What's new

Refusing a job offer... according to japanese etiquette

Val11

Registered
28 Feb 2016
Hey guys, I have another question for you today, you can skip the story and jump to the last line if you prefer.
I had a job interview almost a month ago with the CEO of a japanese izakaya chain, it went well and he told me he would arrange another interview with the manager of the restaurant he wanted me to work in and I'll start from there. He also told me the actual days of training, which I HAD to attend, at that the restaurant will have its first opening in the 24th of March. All of this was in English, so I understood it very well.
After a week I get a call from the manager of the restaurant and we arrange a meeting, during which he asks me general stuff, like when am I available to work and all of that. He makes a copy of my passport and tells me that I will probably start in another restaurant (far from were a live) in April, then he asks me for my line contact, to stay in touch. This second interview was in japanese so I might have missed some bits and pieces, but it seemed very weird and the guy kept received calls on his phone and answering them, which I found a bit unprofessional. Anyway it's only been a week after that interview but I am already having second thoughts, as they don't seem a very serious company and I haven't received any specific information. Is this normal in Japan?
So the actual question here is: how do I reject a job offer in Japan? What's the politeness etiquette in this situation?

On Feb. 28th, you wrote in another thread:
After an interview, I was granted a job in a company and I was told that training will start in about a week time and I agreed.

You even got permission to work part-time on your student visa. So, what are you doing now interviewing for other work? I'm confused.

well the problem is that they seem to be delaying that week more and more, from one week it has become almost a month now, and I don't feel comfortable working for such a company

well the problem is that they seem to be delaying that week more and more, from one week it has become almost a month now, and I don't feel comfortable working for such a company

I wouldn't worry about "Japanese etiquette" in this situation. Just tell them you are no longer available for the job.

If you want to throw in some Japanese-ness, just apologize profusely. Throw in a few 申し訳ありませんs. And be indirect about the reason.

Exactly who is delaying? Immigration or the company? Where did you get that info? Some companies will claim lateness or mistakes from immigration when actually it is an unscrupulous company who just wants the worker to be there for free (illegally). If it's truly immigration that is causing the delay, bear in mind that this is the busiest time of year to process visas.

I didn't have any problem with immagration, no. It's the company itself that is delaying it, without giving me information or anything

I didn't have any problem with immagration, no. It's the company itself that is delaying it, without giving me information or anything

I'm a bit confused. Did you refuse the job at that place or not?

Not officially, really, no, only in my mind :D i have actually started another job already, I just have to work out a good way to put it in japanese!

Not officially, really, no, only in my mind :D i have actually started another job already, I just have to work out a good way to put it in japanese!

No amount of politeness in wording will offset the rudeness in not telling them right away.

Back
Top Bottom