What's new

Red spot - black spot

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Interesting, I found the following expression at the About.com forum:

the term "kou itten" [a single spot of red] refers to a single woman among a group of men. Vice versa "koku itten" [a single spot of black] refers to a single man among a group of women. I am not sure if this phrase is also used in formal language, but it seems to originate from a famous Chinese poem that depicts a single crimson flower blossoming among a myriad of green leaves.

Generally, red is associated to female gender, black to male (for instance on public bathroom doors etc).

hmmm .... not to be rude but .... isn't that a pun too? Aka along the lines of Ariwara Narihira (Tales of Ise -- Japan's Don Juan/Casanova)

Red is also the circle on the Hinamaru while black is in place of the white background of the flag.

I'll see what I can dig up with the older generation.

I'm not sure whether this is some sort of parody or not. Asked at home (yes, my prime resources for things Japanese, haha), she said it's a valid expression.
I'll keep digging.

Checked with a [kokugo] Japanese Language teacher yesterday.

Yes, it's a used expression and interestingly added it's a phrase you learn as a child, therefore he wasn't really sure of it's orgin.

hmmm??? not sure what you're referring to samuraitora?

I added the parody, but the Japanese teacher didn't mention any subtle hidden points. I did refer to such a chance but he didn't pick up on it.

sorry, if I mislead you.

Back
Top Bottom