What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Recommendations

HelloKyoto

先輩
Reaction score
I have several questions regarding recommendations for entry-level teaching positions. In general, how many recommendations are required? Is it best to have letters of recommendation, as opposed to just having contact info? I might apply here in the United States, so maybe having contact info would suffice, but I am thinking having letters would be best.

For entry-level positions, are recommendations that important? I hear that having a "pulse" is enough in most cases. Does that mean that many companies hire entry-level teachers on the spot? Does age play a role in recommendation expectations? For example, would more emphasis be placed on the recommendations for a 35 year old teacher than a 21 year old one, if both are applying for an entry-level position? Also, would the recommendations I got from volunteer teaching experience count?

Thanks for the insight.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
How many recommendations do you need to work the grill at McDonalds?

Ashikaga

もちもちした食感
Reaction score
How many recommendations do you need to work the grill at McDonalds?
In MY case, I did not need any recommendation letters because my kid brother was the manager and I was dating the girl on the fryolater.

To HelloKyoto, I've read on some other thread that younger people were preferred by some English conversation schools. If you can obtain letters of recommendations from the people/organizations (volunteer or otherwise) you have worked for in the past, why don't you do that just to be safe?

I wish you good luck!

Top Bottom