What's new

Recipe request: Japanese Pork

chrysostom

後輩
8 Mar 2005
Hi, all pork lovers, I swear I have the most delicious pork in Tokyo, Japan (served in a bowl of ramen). Can anyone please tell me what's special about the pork? How do you make them? It's not like the Chinese BBQ pork but it's much tenderer and has a really unique (rich?) taste to it. I once asked my Japanese teacher and she said that she use Coke to cook the pork...

Thanks,
Charles

I think you are talking about roasted pork called "cha-shu"; I have made it a few times and came out a quite good. Although I didn't use coke in it.

Here is my recipe.
<Ingredients>
3~4 lbs pork, loin is a good part to use, but any cut should work fine, avoid ribs since it's too fatty
1/2 cup dark soy sauce
3 large cloves garlic, crushed
one 1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
4 scallions, cut crosswise in third
1/2 cup wine
3 cups chicken stock
1 stick cinnamon(optional)
1 tbs oil
1 tsp black pepper

Season the meat with black pepper.
Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or a cast iron pan.
Add and toss scallions, garlic, and ginger in the oil just until heated through, about 1 minute.
Add pork to color evenly.
Add chicken stock, soy sauce, wine and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Turn the meat to cover it with liquid.
Reduce the heat and cover the pan.
Simmer, turning the meat every hour and basting it, until it is fork tender, 3 to 4 hours.

I hope this recipe helps you recreate the one you had in Tokyo.

Enjoy!

Thanks!

I can hear my stomach rumbling when I read your recipe. I'm not sure if it'd be the same style of pork I tasted before (I don't think the experience can ever be repeated... even if I go to Tokyo again) but it's certainly a very good start.

Thanks
Charles

煮豚

chrysostom said:
It's not like the Chinese BBQ pork but it's much tenderer and has a really unique (rich?) taste to it.
What they call charsiu in ramen places over there is no longer yakibuta (roast pork,) it's nibuta (simmered pork) these days.

Back
Top Bottom