What's new

Realistic name?

Z

zhitomir

hi, I am just finishing writing my book and I want all the characters and locations to have japanese names. I am particularly trying to find out, whether I can use the female name "Ione" (ione). It is really important to me to know. I made it up, but I have not found such a name in japanese name lists, still, I would like to use it, if it's not completely impossible. Can you help? Or explain what it means, if it means something? Thank you.

can't say i've heard of that name before, nor can i explain what it means (if anything)... if you want it to be a girl's name, you could probably just whack "-ko" on the end of it and cliam it to be a girl's name!

if you have a list of japanese names and want it to be realisic, perhpas just choose a name from there?

Ione

It's just that I like the sound of it so much. I do have a backup name, "Isono", but I'd really like to use "Ione". That's why I'm asking. I know it's not a real name, I wanted to know if it could be a possible name, if it's not something offensive etc. As for Ioneko, my g/f suggested the very same thing, but then I'd use Isono instead. I can't explain it, I'm just so fixated on the sound of that name...

The one(i) part would probably be taken as older sister....is "i" alone a Japanese name I wonder?

the girl's names like outlandish girls are popular recently in Japan when be named. but I've never heard the girl's name, "Ione". and "Isono" is a family name in general.

Originally posted by Elizabeth
The one(i) part would probably be taken as older sister....is "i" alone a Japanese name I wonder?

I(ai) is a real name. writing in kanji, it's usually "愛". it means "love".

I do know of one Japanese woman, though, with the name "Ida" most likely spelled 伊田 or 井田 but pronounced similar to 愛 or 間 (maybe that is her name after all) :p. Is it very unusual?

Back
Top Bottom